Quick - Alternative to Canon 17-55 f2.8

Webby

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I want a new lens because I'm not at all happy with my current kit lens 28-135 from Canon. I can't seem to get sharp images plus the thing is very cumbersome to tote around. I ordered a cheap 50mm f/1.8 for under $100. But I find myself having to back up in order to get the shots I want and that isn't always possible. I'm looking at a Canon 17-55 f/2.8 lens that seems to do what I want, plus it appears that I may be able to walk around with it, but it is a little pricey considering I'm a noobie. I am willing to pay for it if I can get clear sharp images.

My question is this; Is there a comparable lens for less? I like the IS and HSM concept but is it really important?

You might try the 17-40mm f4L, great optics for a smaller price. I just got mine recently and so far I love it....

Jerry

I doubt that this would let you down. Now or in the future. Love mine on FF and APS-C bodies.
Lens

I doubt that this would let you down. Now or in the future. Love mine on FF and APS-C bodies.
Lens

Your just mean.... jk WOW that is my lens! Now if only I could afford it.. perhaps I'll save up for it.

I have the Tamron 17-50mm F/2.8.

IS or not..... IS is nice to have in some situation, but I do not need it most of the time between focal length of 17mm to 50mm. Even it is not a USM nor HSM type AF, it is fast enough (faster than the EF 50mm) at least for me.

I will say, the Tamron is a Fast, sharp, light weight and decent AF standard zoom lens.

Lens

Your just mean.... jk WOW that is my lens! Now if only I could afford it.. perhaps I'll save up for it.

I have a whole cook book on the art of living on Peanut Butter & Jelly if you would like a copy. It's how I bought this lens. :D

I have the Tamron 17-50mm F/2.8.

IS or not..... IS is nice to have in some situation, but I do not need it most of the time between focal length of 17mm to 50mm. Even it is not a USM nor HSM type AF, it is fast enough (faster than the EF 50mm) at least for me.

I will say, the Tamron is a Fast, sharp, light weight and decent AF standard zoom lens.
:thumbup:

I've also got the Tamron 17-50mm F2.8. As mentioned, a nice fast, sharp lens with pretty good quality for the price.

The EF-S 17-55mm F2.8 is a great lens though, the optical quality is on par with L lenses, although the build quality isn't quite that high. It isn't really smaller or lighter than the 28-135mm though.

Besides the Tamron, I also have the EF-S 17-85mm IS. It's basically the same lens as the 28-135mm...just in a wider EF-S flavor. It's a great walk around lens but the max aperture is only F4-5.6, which is why I also have the Tamron.

In all honesty, if you have little experience with DSLR photography, the problem could easily be you and not the gear.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back