Quick feedback on this image please?

Discussion in 'General Gallery' started by Parker219, Aug 2, 2019.

1. Parker219

Parker219 TPF Noob!

This is Flagler College in Saint Augustine, FL.

I was trying to show off the stained glass, however I keep getting the feeling that something is off about this photo. Is it the processing? The composition? Or something else?

Flagler-Quick.jpg

2. Parker219

Parker219 TPF Noob!

I am noticing the noise more after the upload, should I try to denoise everywhere except the windows?

3. 480sparky

480sparky Chief Free Electron Relocator

The workworking is distracting. The glass really isn't all that bright and colorful.

4. TreeofLifeStairs

TreeofLifeStairs TPF Noob!

I was thinking up the exposure too.

5. JonFZ300

JonFZ300 TPF Noob!

I agree with everything already said. Noise, distracting woodwork, fairly boring panels. I see some weird gray on the middle and right panel like something outside is casting a shadow on the glass. The newel post being right in between two panels is distracting to me too. It's a cool pic to record a memory but not appealing to me in any technical sense. Cheers

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Jeff15

Jeff15 TPF junkie!

Top Poster Of Month

I agree with what has been said.............

7. smoke665

smoke665 TPF Noob!

I've spent many enjoyable days in St Augstine, with its seemgly unending supply of photo opportunities.This one unfortunately may be as the above post said, one of those "cool pic to record a memory. I don't find the woodwork objectionable as it's as much a part of the beauty of the window as the glass, but the glass lacks the brilliance and color one would expect, allowing the woodwork to overpower the scene, plus the tint of the middle pane is different then the ones on the outside. Having the stairs in the pic is a definite turnoff, I've been to Flagler, but I can't remember the window, so I don't know if there was another angle that would have highlighted the window better. Finally learning the elements of the exposure triangle and how they interact so you can make and informed decision on exposure. Knowing how your camera handles higher ISOs and how to correct in post also helps Letting the camera choose on auto exposure isn't always the best solution. F/2.2 is a little wide if you expect to get a good DOF on the window, 1/320 is okay outside, but inside it forced your ISO up to 1600. Using a tripod/monopod and dropping your shutter to 1/30 would have gained you 3 1/3 stops, to split between dropping your ISO (helping with noise) and raising your aperture (helping with DOF and sharpness).

For stained glass, and good unobstructed shooting Cathedral Basilica of St. Augustine is hard to beat.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Parker219

Parker219 TPF Noob!

Great feedback everyone.

Based on what you said, this is what I came up with.

DSC_2769-f2.jpg

9. smoke665

smoke665 TPF Noob!

It still lacks the vibrancy that one expects. It's tough to edit a low resolution JPEG but with a few edits.
    DSC_2769-f2-2.jpg
    Even with the edits, the windows lack the sharpness and color. For example this is one that was taken at Cathedral Basilica of St. Augustine. Note this was using ISO 3200, f/8, 1/250 handheld. Noise reduction applied in camera and post. I forgot the tripod that day, but if I ever get back there, I'll reshoot using a lower ISO and a tripod.
    St. Augustine01062018_841.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  10. Parker219

Parker219 TPF Noob!

I tried an edit like yours Smoke, but the wood kept turning orange, so since my ISO was too high to push a natural dynamic range in regards to color, I might have to stick to a muted version.

I like your photo!:1219:

11. smoke665

smoke665 TPF Noob!

Dynamic range is the ratio between the maximum and minimum measurable light intensity. If you have Lr you can do a lot to reduce noise, and sharpen the image (using mask). High ISO is not necessarily a bad thing if you understand the other elements of the exposure triangle, and have the ability to edit post from a raw file.