Quickest Workflow Method for upload to company servers.

W.Y.Photo

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Okay, long story short I work in an office where we need to decrease the amount of time it takes for multiple photographers to move images from in camera to the companies servers. The company needs access to this images as soon as humanly possible after the moment of their capture. (If they could magically appear on company servers named as they should be the second they are captured that would be ideal)

The Photographers have laptops on location at the shoots but they do not always have access to wi-fi from which they can access the company servers.

All the photographers use different cameras, all shoot in JPEG, and as far as I am aware none use any image organizing software or wifi enabled cameras to transfer the images to their computers.

Here is their current process:

The Images are taken on location.
Photographer then drives back to the office or their home which could take hours.
Photographer starts uploading images to the computer from the camera.
Photographer names and organizes images according to the businesse's method of server organization.
Photographer uploads images to server.

I have been tasked with speeding up this workflow as much as possible and I was hoping someone here could help me out.

I have considered Eye-Fi and other Wi-fi cards but can't think of anything else and I know there must be at least some software solutions to speed up this process.

Any help or comment on this matter, no matter how insignificant seeming, could be of use. Act as if I am ignorant of all possible workflow methods for digital image upload and management. (I really mean that :encouragement:)

Mobile hotspot for continuous access to internet/network?

I already like where this is going. Excellent idea!! I got so caught up on Eye-fi that I didn't even think of a mobile hotspot as a better option.

I already like where this is going. Excellent idea!! I got so caught up on Eye-fi that I didn't even think of a mobile hotspot as a better option.
If anyone worries about security, you could also incorporate VPN.

step 1 - load pics onto computer (assuming windows)
step 2 - Batch process (name / crop / saturate / sharpen / resize) Irfanview is free
step 3 - find internet connection and upload to work

If anyone worries about security, you could also incorporate VPN.

VPN is already an option. Thanks!!

step 1 - load pics onto computer (assuming windows)
step 2 - Batch process (name / crop / saturate / sharpen / resize) Irfanview is free
step 3 - find internet connection and upload to work

That program seems like a perfect option. Thanks!!

I tested out the batch renaming in Irfanview and its perfect.
My boss loves the idea of using mobile hotspots so as long as I can sell their usefulness to the higher ups here's what the idea looks like so far:

Photographer uses Eye-fi card while photographing on location. When the shoot is done all photos should already be in a folder on the computer.
Renaming the necessary images can be done in just a couple of minutes with Irfanview and the images can even be sent to the server by Irfanview as they are renamed.

The photographer has now uploaded all of the images to the company servers within a few minutes of finishing the shoot rather than taking multiple hours to do so. This justifies the expense of the mobile hotspots in both the amount of time that person now has to work on other things and in the sheering off of a large chunk of time that was originally spent waiting for those files to be uploaded and used by the company.

Thanks again guys this was a big help!!

I tested out the batch renaming in Irfanview and its perfect.
My boss loves the idea of using mobile hotspots so as long as I can sell their usefulness to the higher ups here's what the idea looks like so far:

Photographer uses Eye-fi card while photographing on location. When the shoot is done all photos should already be in a folder on the computer.
Renaming the necessary images can be done in just a couple of minutes with Irfanview and the images can even be sent to the server by Irfanview as they are renamed.

The photographer has now uploaded all of the images to the company servers within a few minutes of finishing the shoot rather than taking multiple hours to do so. This justifies the expense of the mobile hotspots in both the amount of time that person now has to work on other things and in the sheering off of a large chunk of time that was originally spent waiting for those files to be uploaded and used by the company.

Thanks again guys this was a big help!!
Irfanview good

Most reactions

New Topics

Back