What's new

Rape under a Pearlescent Sky

Fred Berg

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Joined
May 17, 2011
Messages
1,802
Reaction score
748
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
imm034_3-005.jpg
 
This is a neat image, I like the different layers. However the blown out sky kills it for me. I would try and bring some of the sky out with your levels. And maybe try to bring the blue out in the foreground plants.
 
This is a neat image, I like the different layers. However the blown out sky kills it for me. I would try and bring some of the sky out with your levels. And maybe try to bring the blue out in the foreground plants.

View attachment 8873

Thanks. I've brought the sky up a bit in PSE8 and also softened the image a little using Picasa. I quite like the result.
 
Ok Fred, you sure got me with your thread title.

I really like the layered colors, but the sky is the least attractive and important element in your composition. I would consider a re-crop and remove at least 1/2 of the sky.
 
I like the 2nd edit you did. I think what you did to the sky helped the image a lot. I think Joel_W's suggestion is worth a try as well. I just scrolled using the top of my screed to crop it a little above the tree line on the left and it does seem to bring more attention to the foreground. I think you could use it both ways.
 
Ok Fred, you sure got me with your thread title.

I really like the layered colors, but the sky is the least attractive and important element in your composition. I would consider a re-crop and remove at least 1/2 of the sky.

Thanks for the input, Joel. Perhaps like this?

View attachment 9119
 
I like the 2nd edit you did. I think what you did to the sky helped the image a lot. I think Joel_W's suggestion is worth a try as well. I just scrolled using the top of my screed to crop it a little above the tree line on the left and it does seem to bring more attention to the foreground. I think you could use it both ways.

Thanks Scuba. I've cut away some of the sky (reply to Joel). Not quite as much as you suggested, but I think it makes a difference whilst keeping enough of what, for me, is an important part of the photo.
 
I like the composition best in the last version. But the sky is awfully grainy. High ISO? Noise reduction? How was your camera set? The color balance seems a bit off, too, imo, though that could just be my eyes at this time of night.
 
I like the composition best in the last version. But the sky is awfully grainy. High ISO? Noise reduction? How was your camera set? The color balance seems a bit off, too, imo, though that could just be my eyes at this time of night.

Yes, the grain is due to the PSE8 work I did to bring the sky out a bit, but on paper this isn't so noticeable (that's why I softened it a bit - to reduce the grain for printing). The colours have been very slightly saturated in Picasa, to bring the yellows and greens up a bit, but maybe I should have left that. Otherwise, to answer your questions, this was taken with a circa 50 year old Voigtländer Vitomatic 1a using Ektar 100 film and a Gossen Sixtar light meter. Thanks for your thoughts.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom