RAW in photoshop...

prodigy2k7

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, you open a raw file in photoshop... CameraRAW opens... and you can make adjustments that way... There is also a button like "Open" or something that opens the raw file in the main photoshop program instead of CameraRAW...

Do you still have the RAW versatility in regular photoshop, or is raw only useful to edit in CameraRAW?

Once you open it in photoshop, can you re-save it as CR2 or whatever raw format you use?

I double click my image and it opens up into Bridge. Then you adjust it in raw. When it opens up in Photoshop it is jpeg at that point. Then I save my edited version in Jpeg with 12 as the size. When you close down it will ask you if you want to save the original you can okay it or not. I don't because I always want my original. Also when you adjust in bridge it remembers what changes you have done. Then if you want to reopen it it opens it up with your changes our you can change it back to the orriginal.

prodigy2k7 Wrote:
So, you open a raw file in photoshop... CameraRAW opens... and you can make adjustments that way...

Yes. Most of the specific formats that cameras record as RAW images will automatically open in CameraRAW. By setting the preferences you can also specify that JPEG files will open in CameraRAW too.

There is also a button like "Open" or something that opens the raw file in the main photoshop program instead of CameraRAW...
That's a question right? ;) Yes! The File->Open menu item behaves identically. Whether you double-click on a file or use the Open command in the menus the open by CameraRAW process will be the same. Additionally CameraRAW can edit multiple images at once so don't be afraid to multi-select either the icons in the OS or the files in the Open File dialogue box slash navigator thingy.

Do you still have the RAW versatility in regular photoshop, or is raw only useful to edit in CameraRAW?
Photoshop will not open RAW files directly without CarmeraRAW afaik - so it's identical however you do it.

Once you open it in photoshop, can you re-save it as CR2 or whatever raw format you use?
Usually not, no. It depends on the software you have installed though. If you have a writer routine installed for that filetype then yes. Most software accompanying the camera doesn't include the writer, only the reader. You can check by selecting Save As after you open the file through CameraRAW.

There's PhotoshopRAW but that's quite a different beast. Best saving formats from PS are .PSD (PhotoShop Document) and TIFF. Best storage formats from camera to HDD direct is probably .DNG and Adobe offers a free converter from their site. Most camera manufacturers (who give a crap about their customers :D) are including in camera support for direct DNG (digital negative) recording in newer models.

Most reactions

Back