Raw Photos

Goldeeno

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
goldeeno.zoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello all, first post here. Ive just got myself a 350d and was wondering how to process the raw photos? Ive installed the Canon software which has raw editor, but it doesnt seem to work, or rather, im not doing something right. Can you process RAW photos with photoshop?

Also ive got a friend who does alot of painting and drawing, he wants some photos taking of his work, i guess these want to be shot in RAW format? Any help on shooting "pictures and paintings"?

Cheers

Hello all, first post here. Ive just got myself a 350d and was wondering how to process the raw photos? Ive installed the Canon software which has raw editor, but it doesnt seem to work, or rather, im not doing something right. Can you process RAW photos with photoshop?

Also ive got a friend who does alot of painting and drawing, he wants some photos taking of his work, i guess these want to be shot in RAW format? Any help on shooting "pictures and paintings"?

Cheers

Q1) yes. Opening the CR2 (?) file with photoshop should bring up the ACR plugin that will open and manage RAW files. If it doesn't open, download a new version of ACR plugin from Adobe.

2) RAW will allow better white balance measurement but there's a lot more to shooting drawings and paintings than using RAW. Do a search for that, there have been good threads on that lately.http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=83527

Welcome to the forum.

When processing RAW files, there is an extra step. You must open the RAW file with compatible software, the Canon software for example. This allows you to make decisions like changing the white balance or adjusting the exposure a bit etc. Then you hit OK (or whatever) and the software processed the RAW file and saves it as a regular type of image file (Jpeg or Tiff). Then you can use photoshop to open and edit the file.

You can use Photoshop to directly open the RAW file...photoshop has a little program called Adobe Camera RAW, which opens and converts the file for you...however, you must have a compatible version of Adobe Camera RAW.

You can go to Adobe.com to check if there is a version of A.C.R. that is compatible with both your camera and your version of Photoshop.

Well the results follow, cheers for the help guys. Very happy.
IMG_1525e.jpg

IMG_1526e.jpg

IMG_1535e.jpg

IMG_1560e.jpg

Those are some amazing drawings.

Sorry guys more help needed now.
I just the canon program to do these last time. Im trying to use photoshop 7.0, from the online help it says.

"To open a file using the Raw format: blah blah blah

"For Width and Height, enter values for the dimensions of the file."

Im trying this but when i enter the image size, it says too large. Im putting 3456 x 2304. If i put smaller then it messes the image up. What do i do?

Just use the default size that comes from your camera. Don't worry about changing that until it's already into Photoshop.

I still cant seem to get it to work..
Im opening photoshop, file, Open As..
Then select my file, and open as .RAW and click ok.
Then this dialog box appears so inter the size of the photo. Well my 350D takes 3456 x 2304 maximum, which is what it should be. Or should it be something different.

Untitled-2copy.jpg

Thats what im doing, see anything wrong?
The background is what happends if i make the image size smaller, and thats not right.

HELP!

I've never used 'Open As'.

I just open/convert the RAW file to start with, then save as PSD and go from there. Maybe that's your problem...just open the file, which should bring up the 'Adobe Camera RAW' sub-program.

Most reactions

Back