RAW question

chinadoll81

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm a new-b, so this is probably a dumb question...but what is RAW...and why is it good to use?

Been posted before a lot:

Short answer is raw is easier for the post processing than a JPG

Here are 2 places to look at what others said:

TPF Post
Website

A raw file is the unprocessed data as it comes off the camera sensor, or at least as unprocessed as it's possible to get. All cameras shoot raw. Most cameras begin processing the raw file into an image file such as a jpeg.

The advantage of a raw file is that I can use more sophisticated processing software, such as Adobe Camera Raw, than the processing software that comes in the camera.

Understanding RAW

Think of the raw file as your original negatives from the camera. Any processed files would be a kin to the final print from the negatives. Keep the files safe. You can always go back to these files for re-processing at a later date.

Here's an article I wrote about why I always shoot in raw

Shooting in Raw

It just lets you play a lot more with your image

Here is it in simple terms

In a .jpg once you edit the exposure, color, tone, hue etc. and save it. It is done

In a RAW if you mess up on adjustments, you can always refer back to the previous settings or the original image

I'm a new-b, so this is probably a dumb question...but what is RAW...and why is it good to use?

Here is a good reading from Adobe about the RAW:

CLICK

Also, if interested, there's another good reading on Linear Gamma:

CLICK

Most reactions

New Topics

Back