ready for my beatings

12sndsgood

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.square1photography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay a few more pics to throw up to get some harsh critiques on. last weekend was my sons birthday so we took a trip to the columbus zoo. i wasn't real happy with most of them. but salvaged a few i think. let me know what you think. you can be harsh.

1.)this was actually a bird outside the park on the river that i saw.

columbus zoo 2011_20 by Sndsgood, on Flickr

2.)

columbus zoo 2011_50 by Sndsgood, on Flickr

3.)my son being.... well himself.

columbus zoo 2011_61 by Sndsgood, on Flickr

4.)

columbus zoo 2011_65 by Sndsgood, on Flickr

seems more i go thru these the less enthused i am with them.

rest can be seen here if u like.
Flickr: Sndsgood's Photostream

I think #1 is the most effective of the group. The composition is simple, background is controlled, color pallette is narrow, well exposed, and interesting soft, directional light. I would prefer the stick not being there, but nothing you could have done about that I presume. I think you could have strengthened the photo considerably had you gotten closer to eye level.

#2 is colorful and well exposed, but the background is too busy with strong vertical lines and shapes. Also, the stick and the background are brighter than the subject which creates an undesireable tension between the two (it's not always undesireable, but I believe it is so in this case when you have one subject of which the background should be complimenting, not fighting with....). You could 'burn in' the stick and background a bit to lower the exposure.

#3 Similar problems here... busy background and the bright areas are in all the wrong places. Also, the 'pose' isn't profile and it isn't 3/4. We can see only part of his right eye. It's just not a strong angle to shoot at.

# Again, very busy background. Use a longer focal length to include less of it and increase the blur on what you can see. Try to get the subject (the eyes are usually appropriate for living things) to be in the 'key light' which is the sun in this case. Obviously you can't move the bear, but you can wait for him to turn his head. Previsualize what it will look like when he does and be in the right place.

It's good that you are honest with yourself about your images. You knew instinctively that these images aren't very strong. You didn't know why, and you shouldn't expect to at this point, but as you take my critique (and other's if they chime in) you will do things differently the next time you are faced with similar scenes. Eventually you will be able to C&C your own photos because you will be able to point out what aspects about them make them compelling images or weak images.

Last edited:
thanks, some good info. yeah for the bird i was problaby about 10' higher then the water and he was out in the water problaby 40 or so feet.

and with my kid like the bear, posing isnt there strong suite. i have to catch him when he's not aware of me being around. he hates to pose lol. biggest problem with these shots for me is having the wife and kid with me. i tend to fall behind trying to get shots. while hurrying to keep up with them and keep them happy. probably distracts me from really taking a hard look at the background. and animals never seem to want to look at the camera. followed the brown bear and orangatang and polar bear for several minutes hoping they'd turn toward me. but all i was rewarded with was a wife and kid telling me to come on lol.

here's the best one i got of the orangatang but i noticed i had cut off his hand earlier so i didnt post it up. need to go back and see if i cropped the origonal and maybe fix it.

columbus zoo 2011 by Sndsgood, on Flickr

Last edited:
Yeah, it seems photography and being a dad (which I am not) are conflicting although you wouldn't think so. However, some quick and easy changes could have improved the above images, and with a bit more practice, you will start to automatically consider your backgrounds, light, and the environment surrounding the subject. I think this is referred to as guerrilla photography... doing the best with what you have while on the move. Here's an article that may or may not be interesting to you... Why You Need To Be A Guerrilla Travel Photographer . Just found it quickly googling and just skimmed the topics.

The orangatan (I'm guessing) is a fairly solid shot. The background is controlled, the light quality is nice, good exposure. As you mentioned you did clip the hand. Also, the light direction is less than ideal... he's getting what is commonly referred to as racoon eyes. Light coming from above creates a shadow of the brow onto the eyes. Also, the log is a bit too 'hot' for my taste as it distracts from the much darker toned animal, but that can only be controlled in ps as the rest of the image looks well exposed.

Btw, notice in this shot of the bird that the background is much more controlled and the bird stands out much more. You have him framed right between the two verticals in the back which makes him pop more. If that white dish wasn't there, this would be a really nice shot.

columbus zoo 2011_15 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

i'll check out that article when i got a bit more reading time. i do see what you mean about the tree trunk being too hot. im also learning post processing as well. so allot of learning trying to go on here lol. think ive been concentrating on adjusting the camera with the right setting in manual and not taking as much time thinking about my shots.

as for the bird, like u said, the dish was the reason i didnt choose that one to put up here. wished i would have moved it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back