Recommend "superzoom" for less than $450 - manual focus, etc

snapsnap1973

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi.

I have a Sony Cybershot H20 that's from 2009 I think and I'm a little tired of it and really haven't used it much anyways, but I'm looking for a camera that has at least a 10x zoom and is a point and shoot type with full control and especially manual focus similiar to what I would have with a DSLR. Right now I don't want a DSLR, but just something under about $450 that has a pretty good zoom range.

I don't need 20-30x zoom or anything. I'd like something "pretty good" though. Can someone recommend something? The thing I don't like about my Cybershot also, is it's narrow wide angle, so that's another reason I'm looking for a better camera.

I recently did have a Canon SX280hs, but it got wet and died.

Oops.. I'm sorry. I missed the part about at least 10x zoom which the RX100 doesn't have.

What about the 280HS did you not like?

Not sure really what I didn't like. I was thinking of either going with an LX7 or a G15 now. I know they're not 10x, but maybe that's not that important. From those two, which one would you recommend? I was thinking the s110, but they said it's aperture isn't great at the zoom end.

I'm not so much one the zoom I guess (although I'd like at least 5x, preferably 7x would be good), but what I want is something to learn on and right now I don't want a DSLR like I said. So I'd basically like something compact that offers a lot of manual options, etc. So, I guess (after a little research) that it'll be between the G15 and LX7.

Also, am I correct in that the G15 has lens attachment options that can extend the zoom.

Another thing. Could I go wrong with either of these cameras? I think I'm beginning to realize, like others have said (after looking at various options especially) that "no one camera can do everything".

Help appreciated.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back