Recommendation for a tripod?

I know what the rules are, I have broken them before but I'd rather not risk it...

lol this could turn into a meet the parents situation

and you don't worry about an airplane worker stealing hundreds of dollars worth of tripod out of your checked baggage?

and you don't worry about an airplane worker stealing hundreds of dollars worth of tripod out of your checked baggage?

I took the plane only once with the tripod and I had no choice. With proper insurance for your camera gear it should not be a worry.

Bogen, Slick, Manfrotto and Gitzmo are some of the top names to be googling. For my setup, I have an old indestructable Slick tripod. Built like a tank and I would trust it with my D700 / 70-200 lens combination outdoors without concern about falling over.

Well I took a look at Slick on B&H, the cheaper ones didn't allow switching between landscape and portrait, and the expensive ones... well I didn't even bother looking since I can't afford them. Same for Gitzo - I get more bang for the buck with Bogen/Manfrotto versus the cheaper Gitzos on the legs, and otherwise Gitzo is too expensive.

So, it looks like I'm looking at a 055XPROB and a 488RC4 - maybe a strap too if I have cash left over.

Well I took a look at Slick on B&H, the cheaper ones didn't allow switching between landscape and portrait, and the expensive ones... well I didn't even bother looking since I can't afford them. Same for Gitzo - I get more bang for the buck with Bogen/Manfrotto versus the cheaper Gitzos on the legs, and otherwise Gitzo is too expensive.

So, it looks like I'm looking at a 055XPROB and a 488RC4 - maybe a strap too if I have cash left over.

If you have a photography shop close by I would suggest you go look at the difference between the RC2 and the RC4 quick release plates. The RC4 is large, designed for medium format bodies. It sticks out from the profile of a 35mm style body and frankly for me is in the way for comfortable hand held shooting.

The RC2 is a smaller quick release plate that will fit inside the profile of the bottom of the body of the camera out of the way. They are also cheap, around $8.00 apiece, so if you have a lens or lenses with a collar such as a 70-200 buying one and leaving it on the lens colar is no problem or expense. It is probably the most common plate used by SLR/DSLR shoters that us Manfrotto QR systems.

so I can buy say, the 488RC4 and then buy a RC2 plate, put on the RC2 plate for 35mm format and enjoy the bubble level etc. that the 488RC4 provides as well as the capability to easily allow for medium format in the future? Can I put a RC2 plate in a RC4 system? How does this all work?...

so I can buy say, the 488RC4 and then buy a RC2 plate, put on the RC2 plate for 35mm format and enjoy the bubble level etc. that the 488RC4 provides as well as the capability to easily allow for medium format in the future? Can I put a RC2 plate in a RC4 system? How does this all work?...

No They are two different quick release systems. The RC4 plate is about 4" square. It sticks out quite a bit under the camera body. For me it is in the way for hand holding the camera. The alternative to this problem is to remove the quick release plate from the body each time you want to hand hold. It is best suited for medium format and studio work when the camera just doesn't ever leave the tripod.

The RC2 plate is about 2" square. It fits inside the width of the bottom of the camera. It is not noticeable when hand holding the camera. When I was using Manfrottos quick release system I used the RC2, bought several plates and had one on each body and on every lens that had a tripod collar. Makes it very quick to use plus you don't have to remove it to but the camera in a bag.

If you really want a bubble level feature then I would suggest something like this instead. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/431884-REG/Acratech_6001_Double_Axis_Spirit_Level.html.

It fits in the hot shoe and is double axis. Small, compact and is not limited to the camera being on the tripod and head. There are some that are more expensive and some that are less. I would suggest the double axis though if you ever decide to try some panorama shooting.

Last edited:
So... 055XPROB legs ($174.95) + 488RC2 head ($109.95) + acratech bubble level ($24.50) = $317.80 after ($8.40) shipping and zero tax. Oy... I guess I'm going to be busting my budget then eh? Ah, the price of quality equipment *winces* I'll probably order this weekend after they reopen for ordering tomorrow and I finish my work. Unless someone knows somewhere with a better price / Black Friday sale / B&H coupons? Thanks...

edit: digitalfotoclub.com has free shipping though, and decently good ratings... probably not worth the 8 bucks or so extra though, B&H is B&H... poking around Froogle and TechBargains, I think B&H is going to lose out to the best deal by no more than $10 and, well, see above...

edit2: I pulled the trigger at B&H, it turns out that they have a bundle deal for the 055XPROB and the 488RC2 so with the bubble level it came out to $304 or so after shipping and no tax. Thanks for all the input :)

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back