What's new

Red

agp

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Mar 18, 2014
Messages
461
Reaction score
123
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Fuji FinePix J10 at work.

C&C welcome.


Red
by hunteryves, on Flickr
 
Last edited:
There are some issues. Looks a bit soft to me, the blown out sky doesn't do it any favours, the buildings look like it needs straightened and the lighting isn't great.

I do like the repitition of the red, thats a good spot but I think it would be better if the people were facing you, shots from the back seldom work well. I think is a cool wee alley with some nice buildings and some interesting things going on
 
All good points. I fixed the issue with the building lines not being straight, but now the rest of the image looks tilted. Other things will take more time. What specifically do you mean when you say the lighting isn't great?
 
Well shadows bring out texture and "sculpt" things in a photograph to give a more 3 dimensional look. In this shot the sun looks to be straight on and slightly camera left. This produces very even lighting which tends to make photos look a bit flatter. Your eye tends to get drawn to the lightest thing in a photo as well, so in order to make a subject really pop you tend to want the background a bit darker too.

Great lighting is one of the hardest things in photography though, especially outdoors and getting it just right takes a lot of practice and being there at the right time. Hope that explains it a bit better.
 
I'm glad to see that you wisely allow others to edit your photos. *cough*

Have a look at this...

$14133363655_544f0bd00a_b.webp

I hated to crop out the red elements on the Chinese Restaurant (or whatever it is), but it really wasn't the subject and you had enough other red things to support what you were doing without it. This crop brings us in a little tighter and maintains our focus on the key elements in the image.

It's not a great image, regardless, but it's fine and I can see what you saw and why it interested you. It's just not really enough to sustain a picture.
 
All good points and edits. The red things on the right are lanterns.
 
Okay so the more I look at this picture the less I like it. So I decided to remove it. But I do get all the take home points y'all have posted and will try to shoot with those in mind in the future.
 
Don't let us discourage you mate, there is a lot of good stuff in this photo. I know it can seem very negative when you get replies like this and some can be oversensitive about it. You seem to have a positive attitude about it though and that will help you improve a lot too. I still struggle with the same things at times, it's getting less and less though thanks to the guys here.
 
I'm not discouraged, I just don't want not so great photos on flickr. I still like taking pictures!
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom