Reflection shot

Fox Paw

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
A re-do of one from a few months back. This is one of my favorite places but it isn't easy to photograph. I would really welcome any criticisms.

Slantedtree18by24brightenedmiddling.jpg

Wonderful shades of green all over! No wonder this is one of your favourite places to go to. It would be mine, too, if I were anywhere nearer to it.
I'd love to see this photo a tad larger, like at 800px wide. Have you used much USM?

Thanks very much for the comments.

"I'd love to see this photo a tad larger, like at 800px wide. Have you used much USM?" I don't know how to get the image larger, LaFoto, and I don't know what USM is. It does look better when it's larger.

USM is Unsharp Mask in Photoshop.
And how large was it when it came out of the camera. It certainly was larger than this? So when you resized it for web-presentation, how did you do it? If you can resize it to 640px wide, you must also be able to resize the original to 800px wide?

I'm sensing that there's a lot I don't know. This shot is only slightly cropped (to eliminate distortion). It was 3888 x 2592 originally. I don't resize when I upload; Photobucket just does its thing. It allows you to resize but this is the maximum.

This was sharpened with high-pass sharpen and it's quite sharp. Too sharp? It doesn't seem so to me when I print it.

Ah, see, I do things differently (and for some silly reason assumed everyone did things like I do them, ;) ) ... I save my web-versions in an extra folder and resize them through Photoshop to 800x533px, which Photobucket DOES allow for IF I don't save them (out of Photoshop again) at "12 - Maximum", but only at "10 - maximum". Resolution goes down a bit, and yet that does the trick with Photobucket. And they allow for my 800px-wide photos. :wink:

It does look a tad sharp to me on my screen, but must be wonderful in print. How large will it be?

LaFoto, I'll have to try your approach on uploading.

I'm guessing that I know why it may look sharp. This was resized to 18 X 24 (inches, I can't translate to metric) with the thought of making an enlargement as a gift, provided it didn't get crummy reviews here. I've learned that proper sharpening at a smaller size isn't right for such enlargements, so it was sharpened after resizing. It looks fine in a letter-sized print but it could be that the sharpening for an enlargement doesn't work properly at this size. Live and learn.

Most reactions

Back