revamping film cameras

Discussion in 'Film Discussion and Q & A' started by pocketshaver, Jun 10, 2019 at 11:44 PM.

1. pocketshaver

pocketshaver TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    sent my ftbs in for a cleaning and new light seals.

What has me curious is that the company seems to think that recalibrating the light meters to use 1.5 volt batteries and shutter speeds is standard procedure...

Is it considered THAT much of a hassle to simply get the actual wein cell zinc air 1.35 volt replacement batteries?

2. IanG

IanG No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I guess they think if a camera's stripped down for a CLA it's the best time to upgrade to be able use a modern battery. A Wein cell works but isn't ideal as they have a short life.

Checking and correcting shutter speeds is normal and a key part of any CLA.

Ian

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. compur

compur Been spending a lot of time on here!

Zinc-air batteries like the Wein cells have a very short life. They also cost a lot more than the alkaline batteries which last a lot longer. And, many people are unaware of the whole issue so they just use modern alkaline cells without realizing their effect on meter accuracy.

BTW, old camera meters usually are not recalibrated. The repair person simply installs a small component (a Schottky diode) in the battery circuit that drops the voltage about 0.2 volts. Alternatively, for cameras that use PX625 type batteries (like the FTb), you can use a MR9 battery adapter that fits in the camera's battery chamber and accepts modern S76/LR44 batteries and has a built-in diode that drops the voltage. It is reusable so you only have to buy it once.

• Informative Informative x 2
  4. pocketshaver

pocketshaver TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

Yeah the whole conversion on the light meter circuit seems really good. I left the wien cell battery in it, only opened it 3 weeks ago, and its dead as of today.