revamping film cameras

pocketshaver

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
sent my ftbs in for a cleaning and new light seals.

What has me curious is that the company seems to think that recalibrating the light meters to use 1.5 volt batteries and shutter speeds is standard procedure...

Is it considered THAT much of a hassle to simply get the actual wein cell zinc air 1.35 volt replacement batteries?

I guess they think if a camera's stripped down for a CLA it's the best time to upgrade to be able use a modern battery. A Wein cell works but isn't ideal as they have a short life.

Checking and correcting shutter speeds is normal and a key part of any CLA.

Ian

sent my ftbs in for a cleaning and new light seals.

What has me curious is that the company seems to think that recalibrating the light meters to use 1.5 volt batteries and shutter speeds is standard procedure...

Is it considered THAT much of a hassle to simply get the actual wein cell zinc air 1.35 volt replacement batteries?

Zinc-air batteries like the Wein cells have a very short life. They also cost a lot more than the alkaline batteries which last a lot longer. And, many people are unaware of the whole issue so they just use modern alkaline cells without realizing their effect on meter accuracy.

BTW, old camera meters usually are not recalibrated. The repair person simply installs a small component (a Schottky diode) in the battery circuit that drops the voltage about 0.2 volts. Alternatively, for cameras that use PX625 type batteries (like the FTb), you can use a MR9 battery adapter that fits in the camera's battery chamber and accepts modern S76/LR44 batteries and has a built-in diode that drops the voltage. It is reusable so you only have to buy it once.

Yeah the whole conversion on the light meter circuit seems really good. I left the wien cell battery in it, only opened it 3 weeks ago, and its dead as of today.

My Leica light meter uses PX 625s as a substitute for the old unavailable originals. The meter was fully serviced prior to my buying. The first battery lasted about ten days.
I wear hearing aids that use little zinc air batteries from Germany. I get about 7-10 days longevity. Fortunately the VA sends me a six month supply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Most reactions

New Topics

Back