Riddle me this...

brent1971

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been playing around with some different techniques trying to get the effect that this photog has in some of his images. Particularly like the Coors image with people washing the car in "G1" Any ideas?

http://www.georgefulton.com/

I wish I knew too I found a tutorial once but now I have misplaced it. It might have to do with saturation or something i dont remember...

I wish I knew too I found a tutorial once but now I have misplaced it. It might have to do with saturation or something i dont remember...

yeah it definitely has to do with a combo of saturation, contrast, curves and sharpness... I just can't seem to get there.

try lucisart.com

very pricey software

The Lucis plugin will produce a similar effect if used correctly. But no one worth their salt in post uses it. They do it by hand. If this is the same guy who's done the other Aisics ads, I can just about guarantee he doesn't use that plugin.

It's all about layering unsharp masking...the actual USM, high pass layers, etc. The rest is done literally by hand.

It's local contrast manipulation, in particular tonemapping. Lucisart, Photomatix, and others offer software that make it pretty easy. I think there's even some tonemapping shareware out there.

Controlled lighting goes a long way to making the effect look good even if there's going to be a lot of tweaking in processing.

Some of the following things can be done with Photoshop (I use CS2, CS3 probably has more options) to control contrast like this. None of them really get there by themselves, but in combination they can get pretty close.

Shoot raw and instead of going with the default tone curve switch to the original linear curve (is that an oxymoron?).

Low percentage, high radius unsharp mask on a luminosity blend layer.

The shadow/highlight filter (which is actually under Image->Adjustments I think).

It's local contrast manipulation, in particular tonemapping. Lucisart, Photomatix, and others offer software that make it pretty easy. I think there's even some tonemapping shareware out there.

Controlled lighting goes a long way to making the effect look good even if there's going to be a lot of tweaking in processing.

Some of the following things can be done with Photoshop (I use CS2, CS3 probably has more options) to control contrast like this. None of them really get there by themselves, but in combination they can get pretty close.

Shoot raw and instead of going with the default tone curve switch to the original linear curve (is that an oxymoron?).

Low percentage, high radius unsharp mask on a luminosity blend layer.

The shadow/highlight filter (which is actually under Image->Adjustments I think).

That helps a lot. I'm going to play around with for a while and see what I come up with. Thanks!

Most reactions

Back