Ring Flash VS On-Camera Double Flash Setup

I've used both over the years and much prefer the twin head flashes. The rings are ok but the twin heads are way better imo. I used to have the Canon MT-24EX
until I closed my car boot (trunk) lid on it and smashed it. Oops!!!!:mad::D

I now use the Yongnuo YN24EX E-TTL and it's brilliant and less than a quarter of the price of the Canon. I bought head covers for it and filled them with packing foam for diffusion. While it's slightly more cumbersome than a ring flash it's infinitely more flexible because of the varying angles and positions you can adjust it to.

Forget about constant light ring LED's, I've wasted money on them before and they are useless in all but the best of lights. If you can afford it, go for the Yongnuo YN24, you'll not regret it.

Here's a couple I took yesterday with it attached to the Canon MP-E 65 (I'll remove them from your Thread if you wish).

SB-2.jpg

Hover 1-1.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for replying. Lovely images!
>I've used both over the years and much prefer the twin head flashes
I suspected that that might be the response. I find the light of my ring-flash flat.
I'll try the YONGNUO YN24EX E-TTL--Amazon has it for $248. The only thing of concern is how securely it attaches to the camera. The inexpensive Newer ring flash that I bought is very delicate/unstable.

Thanks for replying. Lovely images!
>I've used both over the years and much prefer the twin head flashes
I suspected that that might be the response. I find the light of my ring-flash flat.
I'll try the YONGNUO YN24EX E-TTL--Amazon has it for $248. The only thing of concern is how securely it attaches to the camera. The inexpensive Newer ring flash that I bought is very delicate/unstable.

They come with metal mounting rings that screw into the lens threads. You need to check you have the right size but they are cheap on ebay. The heads clip securely onto the bracket that clips onto the mounting ring. I've had no issues in that respect at all.

I haven't used my ring flash in years. I find that I get in so close to the subject the flash is lighting behind where I'm focused. I'm better off with natural light and some white cardboard.

One thing about the ring flashes.
At specific distances they create a series of unusual shadows that can be distracting if not mitigated.
Side by side flashes if not toned down can be overwhelming.

There is also the option of using a single or dual flash bracket and a traditional Speedlite dialed down to 1/4
to 1/32nd power.

It is not absolutely necessary to use a so-called macro flash for close-up photography. For many years quite a few people have used a traditional speedlight with some type of diffusing material attached to the front and something like a Nikon sc17 strobe connecting cord.

Jens,a TPF member here uses a similar setup to the one I am describing and does excellent macro work.

That is quite a common option. One I've never use, as I've stated, preferring the twin head variety. There are plenty tutorials on YouTube etc showing how to make simple ones from Pringles tubes and the like.

Plenty of ways to flash- light macro and close-ups. YouTube has lots of videos.fStoppers has some articles.

Most reactions

Back