What's new

Rings

shinycard255

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Nov 27, 2012
Messages
166
Reaction score
64
Location
IL
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So a coworker's daughter is getting married and wants photos taken on their engagement ring and wedding bands to use for save the date or invitation (or who knows what else). We had a little free time today so I started to play around a bit.

Now, I'm not a jewelry photographer, but would love some C&C! Thanks.

rings11.jpg


rings22.jpg
 
I'm not a jewellery photographer either, but here's a couple of thoughts for ya. the first shot looks good, if it was mine I'd probably try to get a wider DOF on the rings, but the blur in the background is nicely done. For the second shot- it would work much better if you hadn't cut the reflection off at the bottom, reframe the shot to include the entire reflection.

Hope that helps for a start, maybe someone with more jewellery experience will chime in with more.
 
I'm not a jewellery photographer either, but here's a couple of thoughts for ya. the first shot looks good, if it was mine I'd probably try to get a wider DOF on the rings, but the blur in the background is nicely done. For the second shot- it would work much better if you hadn't cut the reflection off at the bottom, reframe the shot to include the entire reflection.

Hope that helps for a start, maybe someone with more jewellery experience will chime in with more.

For the first shot, I was shooting at f/5.6 so I had to do some focus stacking. I only wanted the diamonds to be in focus and have everything else fall off. For the second shot, I'm starting to pick up that when I'm shooting on black plexi, the reflections REALLY seem to stand out. I don't want the reflection to be part of the main focus of the shot, that's why I cropped it off. I'm going to have to tone down this reflection so it's not as prominent.

Thanks for the input
 
Do a search for threads started on here by Bitter Jeweller, he has some fantastic shots of his work and does a good job of explaining how he sets up his shots, that might help on the reflection issue.
 
Your first shot ...clean up the gold color.... the reflective rings see all that pink In the future you can place small black cards near the rings on all 4 sides.....I would crop this shot way down because if this were an Ad you would not want all that space. Also the top ring has been resized and the gold does not match.

Your second shot fix the dark line on the front of the ring ...it saw your camera, cover it in white fabric next time

Your images are pretty good
 
Do a search for threads started on here by Bitter Jeweller, he has some fantastic shots of his work and does a good job of explaining how he sets up his shots, that might help on the reflection issue.

I will totally check out his thread before adventuring down the jewelry route next time. Thanks!

Your first shot ...clean up the gold color.... the reflective rings see all that pink In the future you can place small black cards near the rings on all 4 sides.....I would crop this shot way down because if this were an Ad you would not want all that space. Also the top ring has been resized and the gold does not match.

Your second shot fix the dark line on the front of the ring ...it saw your camera, cover it in white fabric next time

Your images are pretty good

Never knew about the black cards surrounding the ring trick. I will have to give this a shot next time around. Yeah... crop is a little weird, but I see your point. Amazing that you were able to tell that it was resized, I didn't even know.

I couldn't think of what to do at the time to fix the dark line. I will try the fabric route next time.

Thanks for the input and compliment
 
Black cards will reflect black. That's not the answer. White is.
Black is used when you WANT a shape defining black reflection.

That bright diamond table reflection...Copy and paste another diamond in it's place. It's hell dealing with facet reflections, but pretty easy to remove. LOL

Those engagement rings are horrible, with the outer diamonds setting the inner one. Whoever thought that up should be smacked.

I don't think the ring has been sized like that. Color matching issues aren't that dramatic. It's more than likely from a reflection.
 
Black cards will reflect black. That's not the answer. White is.
Black is used when you WANT a shape defining black reflection.

That bright diamond table reflection...Copy and paste another diamond in it's place. It's hell dealing with facet reflections, but pretty easy to remove. LOL

Those engagement rings are horrible, with the outer diamonds setting the inner one. Whoever thought that up should be smacked.

I don't think the ring has been sized like that. Color matching issues aren't that dramatic. It's more than likely from a reflection.

White cards... sounds more like it.

Please explain what you mean by the facet reflections... I'm kinda lost here. Would I just google a diamond to copy and paste?

I think the rings are from Zales... but don't quote me on that one
 
This reflection, or "hot" spot...

a5962c31d3acc5f241405291e4268347_zpscc8cff17.jpg


Clone the diamond from the left of it, to get rid of that.
 
Oh I see what you mean. I would have never of known about that... so many "secrets" in the photography world ;)
 
Is their invitations tradional? I like the rings, but they look like an ad for Zales instead of something creative. If that is the look you are going for, then you do a very good job. I would try some creative ones too, to give them several to choose from. This is one I did for a small wedding. They wanted the black shading around the edge. It is the thing right now. I laid the rings on her wedding dress. Just example. Put them on limbs of trees, laced up ribbon of a wedding dress, close up on a flower she would use in her wedding... just a thought

$ring 4 4x6 inches.webp
 
These were just ideas I had. I think she wanted something traditional so the first one was the traditional route. The 2nd one was me just playing around. The other photographer I work with had a stab at it too, I think he had 2 ideas as well, 1 traditional and 1 off the wall like mine. I'm sure I'll be able to play around some more with the rings if her daughter never liked the photos we came up with.
 
Oh I see what you mean. I would have never of known about that... so many "secrets" in the photography world ;)

Hey guys,
I am not a professional photographer and I read your comments. I learn amazing tips here. I am surprised by the details and your ability to comment things that I have never thought about!
Thanks :)
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom