RIP Sidney Poitier

webestang64

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit

Love him, great actor, one of a kind. RIP

Fav flicks of his I can watch over and over.....

In the Heat of the Night

To Sir with Love

Guess Who's Coming to Dinner

The Defiant Ones

The Slender Thread

Shoot to Kill

and I just got on VHS for 50 cents awhile ago...... The Bedford Incident

Also he directed "Stir Crazy"........!!!

One of the best lines to come out of a movie, IMHO, is the exchange between Chief Gillespie and Detective Virgil Tibbs in "In The Heat of The Night" -

Gillespie: "Virgil"? That's a funny name for a n***er boy to come from Philadelphia. What do they call you up there?
Virgil Tibbs: They call me MISTER TIBBS!

R.I.P. Mister Tibbs

He was one of the greats.

Oprah Winfrey, Reginald Hudlin and Derek Murray Introduce "Sidney" at the Toronto Int. Film Festival

When this topic was started I thought about commenting, but I felt that I had nothing to add. It had been a long time since I thought about Poitier and I think I only saw three of his movies: Heat of the Night, To Sir With Love and Bedford Incident.

At the Toronto Film Festival (TIFF) there was a film about Poitier, but TIFF overwhelmed me. It can do that. So "Sidney" became part of the tapestry of the event. I eventually saw "Broker", but the rest do not fade into the background -- it just takes a while to give some parts of it deserved attention.

"Sidney" debuted at TIFF. As is typical of films it began years ago, and it just happened to get done in time to get booked. Likewise, it just happened that Poitier died just before the film was completed, so I guess, he just barely missed seeing it. As I write this, I am still looking forward to seeing it myself.

"SIDNEY Intro | TIFF 2022",
posted Oct 11, 2022 by "TIFF Originals" [length 10:10]
""

Most reactions

Back