Rock Band event photos for sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

animotionphoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok, a good friend of mine (also photographer) asked me to help him take photos of a local popular band he's "IN" with playing at a bar. I was there mostly to help with equipment and lighting and such, but I also needed some portfolio shots and he wanted to help me out with that, so I took my own camera as well. I took some great action shots that my photographer friend liked and mentioned the band's promoter would like them, and even invited me on other shoots with other and bigger bands. Most people wouldn't do this but this guy is one of my best friends and wev'e known each other for many years. We help each other this way and have done business together wheras to keep from accidentally burning each other.

Idea: I own a Kodak 8500 dye sub printer, and had the idea of printing some 8X10s glossies on site (bar/club) and having the band leader autograph them in between breaks and selling them to his fans (usually hysterical 30 something women). He also has a fan club.

Questions:
How much should I charge per autographed 8X10? How much for non-autographed?
Should I pay the bar/club a percentage if the photo mentions the bar's name?
How can I share with my friend who introduced me to the band's promoter?

I hope this pic came out right.

$8.jpg

You will have to ask the band's promotor first, then the venue will want a cut. You'll need contracts in place. Bands can be tricky because even though you took the picture, the band has protection when it comes to their likeness.

If I were a concert goer I wouldn't pay more than $10-15

Honestly, it is a good idea and all, but that picture is way too dark. I know concerts are really hard to take pictures at. The lighting is normally bad, the band is moving, and you cant always get the angles you want, but if you are going to sell picture, they need to be better quality. Thats just my opinion, if they like them, thats great. Remember there is a big difference between them saying "Yeah I like the picture" to "Here is my hard earned money, I want to buy it".

Good luck though.

You will have to ask the band's promotor first, then the venue will want a cut. You'll need contracts in place. Bands can be tricky because even though you took the picture, the band has protection when it comes to their likeness.

If I were a concert goer I wouldn't pay more than $10-15

You wouldn't pay more than $15 for an autographed 8x10 of the lead singer of the night of the show you were at??

Honestly, it is a good idea and all, but that picture is way too dark. I know concerts are really hard to take pictures at. The lighting is normally bad, the band is moving, and you cant always get the angles you want, but if you are going to sell picture, they need to be better quality. Thats just my opinion, if they like them, thats great. Remember there is a big difference between them saying "Yeah I like the picture" to "Here is my hard earned money, I want to buy it".

Good luck though.

Ugh! This is why I didnt want to post the photo. I didn't ask for a critique. You said it's too dark? You don't know what's in the background, maybe a pool table, maybe a trash can, maybe some a fat bouncer that shouldnt be in the shot. What matters is if the customer wants it, and so far have gotten great reviews. With that said, thanks for the good luck.

I just shot an Eddie Money concert...he was giving away signed 8x10's right there.

To curb the critiques on the photo, I never darkened the photo. The stage and background was already dark because of the song they were playing. I only cropped and cleaned it up a bit to keep attention on the star of the show.

You're being defensive and argumentative. I as well as others do have some experience and are trying to offer help...isn't that why you posted here?

I hope this pic came out right.

Sorry, I took this as an opening to tell you "no" it didnt come out right. Sorry for the mistake.

No problem. Yeah, what I meant by that was if I posted the pic correctly. I try not to post any pictures here for critiquing, because I'm the one there, and I'm the one who with the vision, not someone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back