What's new

Rosemary..

Like 1 second does not do it for me, I'd have preferred te focus on the stem... nice colours...
 
Like 1 second does not do it for me, I'd have preferred te focus on the stem... nice colours...

I agree. WOnderful colors and nice light. The second one though, not enough in-focus. Just...not enough for the eye to latch onto and to savor. BOTH of these have a wonderful, delicious quantity, and direction, and quality and character of light! THE LIGHT IS NICE!!!!!! But I want to see the subjects a bit more clearly, especially in #2. I don't want to sound all grumpy, but I;'m very tired of looking at shallow DOF food photos...I KNOW all about shallow DOF and how it can be done...I wanna literally be able to see the subjects,and not have to pick out 10% that's rendered clear enough to appreciate. These have GREAT light! And nice propping. But the technique/technical decision, the one, single decision, what f/stop to use, has risen to the forefront.

If you want to do shallow DOF food stuff, then invest in a tilt-shift lens, where the effect can be applied in ways that enhance, rather than annoy or detract.
 
The lighting in the first one is beautiful!! I just love rosemary.
 
Love the first.
 
I agree. WOnderful colors and nice light. The second one though, not enough in-focus. Just...not enough for the eye to latch onto and to savor. BOTH of these have a wonderful, delicious quantity, and direction, and quality and character of light! THE LIGHT IS NICE!!!!!! But I want to see the subjects a bit more clearly, especially in #2. I don't want to sound all grumpy, but I;'m very tired of looking at shallow DOF food photos...I KNOW all about shallow DOF and how it can be done...I wanna literally be able to see the subjects,and not have to pick out 10% that's rendered clear enough to appreciate. These have GREAT light! And nice propping. But the technique/technical decision, the one, single decision, what f/stop to use, has risen to the forefront.

If you want to do shallow DOF food stuff, then invest in a tilt-shift lens, where the effect can be applied in ways that enhance, rather than annoy or detract.

Breath, Daryll, breath.. ;) Yes, I agree that you should use a deeper depth of field with food photography so you can see more of it and I do, I promise. Check out my Flickr photostream if you don't believe me! For this particular shot I was experimenting and did shoot it with a larger aperture, but I preferred these two. It's funny, because I posted these in another forum, that is predominantly woman and they actually liked the depth of field I used.. Please don't say that they don't know what they're talking about or that they don't know anything about photography, which couldn't be further than the truth. It's just personal preference.

Lighting is spot on. Natural?

Thank you, and yes, it's natural light. :)
 
I agree. WOnderful colors and nice light. The second one though, not enough in-focus. Just...not enough for the eye to latch onto and to savor. BOTH of these have a wonderful, delicious quantity, and direction, and quality and character of light! THE LIGHT IS NICE!!!!!! But I want to see the subjects a bit more clearly, especially in #2. I don't want to sound all grumpy, but I;'m very tired of looking at shallow DOF food photos...I KNOW all about shallow DOF and how it can be done...I wanna literally be able to see the subjects,and not have to pick out 10% that's rendered clear enough to appreciate. These have GREAT light! And nice propping. But the technique/technical decision, the one, single decision, what f/stop to use, has risen to the forefront.

If you want to do shallow DOF food stuff, then invest in a tilt-shift lens, where the effect can be applied in ways that enhance, rather than annoy or detract.

Breath, Daryll, breath.. ;) Yes, I agree that you should use a deeper depth of field with food photography so you can see more of it and I do, I promise. Check out my Flickr photostream if you don't believe me! For this particular shot I was experimenting and did shoot it with a larger aperture, but I preferred these two. It's funny, because I posted these in another forum, that is predominantly woman and they actually liked the depth of field I used.. Please don't say that they don't know what they're talking about or that they don't know anything about photography, which couldn't be further than the truth. It's just personal preference.

Lighting is spot on. Natural?

Thank you, and yes, it's natural light. :)

It's okay Tammy. If you need to defend against C&C then maybe you're taking it too much to heart.
 
I agree. WOnderful colors and nice light. The second one though, not enough in-focus. Just...not enough for the eye to latch onto and to savor. BOTH of these have a wonderful, delicious quantity, and direction, and quality and character of light! THE LIGHT IS NICE!!!!!! But I want to see the subjects a bit more clearly, especially in #2. I don't want to sound all grumpy, but I;'m very tired of looking at shallow DOF food photos...I KNOW all about shallow DOF and how it can be done...I wanna literally be able to see the subjects,and not have to pick out 10% that's rendered clear enough to appreciate. These have GREAT light! And nice propping. But the technique/technical decision, the one, single decision, what f/stop to use, has risen to the forefront.

If you want to do shallow DOF food stuff, then invest in a tilt-shift lens, where the effect can be applied in ways that enhance, rather than annoy or detract.

Breath, Daryll, breath.. ;) Yes, I agree that you should use a deeper depth of field with food photography so you can see more of it and I do, I promise. Check out my Flickr photostream if you don't believe me! For this particular shot I was experimenting and did shoot it with a larger aperture, but I preferred these two. It's funny, because I posted these in another forum, that is predominantly woman and they actually liked the depth of field I used.. Please don't say that they don't know what they're talking about or that they don't know anything about photography, which couldn't be further than the truth. It's just personal preference.

Lighting is spot on. Natural?

Thank you, and yes, it's natural light. :)

It's okay Tammy. If you need to defend against C&C then maybe you're taking it too much to heart.

Nope.. C&C doesn't bother me at all. I appreciate your feedback. :)
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom