Ruddy Turnstone (formerly a Plover) on the Pavement

Didereaux

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
tinyurl.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
We were shooting the runners in the Breast Cancer 10K run Saturday on the seawall at Galveston. About ten feet below is a strip of sand and the Gulf. This little Semi-palmated Plover (juvenile) was scurrying about finding worms and such amongst the bits of seaweed. Later he simply flew up on the sidewalk amongst all the people and runners checked things out like he owned the place and knew what he was doing. totally tame, have not seen one quite that 'confident' before.
upload_2016-10-23_17-0-6.jpeg

Nice have not seen a semipalmated plover that looks like that before but could be differnet place so they look a little differnet or its not a semipalmated plover but instead a ruddy turnstone

Nice have not seen a semipalmated plover that looks like that before but could be differnet place so they look a little differnet

the juvenile look quite a bit different. But the orange legs make it either Semi or Piping. Notice that the adult Semi's have orange on the back half of the beak, this appears with adulthood.

Nice have not seen a semipalmated plover that looks like that before but could be differnet place so they look a little differnet

the juvenile look quite a bit different. But the orange legs make it either Semi or Piping. Notice that the adult Semi's have orange on the back half of the beak, this appears with adulthood.
looks more like a ruddy turnstone they have orange legs aswell

I am going to concede to your Ruddy Turnstone, non-breeding plumage. Nice catch. The bill size and shape I had not looked at just the coloring. :headbang:

I am going to concede to your Ruddy Turnstone, non-breeding plumage. Nice catch. The bill size and shape I had not looked at just the coloring. :headbang:
Thanks the colour to me just did not match semipalmated plover

Most reactions

Back