Sacred Datura -- Indian Whiskey

clanthar

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The real name is datura wrightii. Native Americans of the southwest used it in rituals to induce hallucinations thus the name sacred datura. The less politically correct name was given to the plant by the new Americans. A tea made from soaking a dozen seeds in a couple cups of hot water will do the trick. It's dangerous stuff and very easy to brew up a lethal dose. A small dose will cause temporary blindness and hallucinations; a little more will cause respiratory arrest. Every part of the plant is toxic.

A very strange plant it blooms at night. It has large dramatic gorgeous white flowers and some people will plant it deliberately. Datura flowers in the moonlight can be a spectacular experience.

So I was out for my afternoon walk and ran into one growing wild in the alley. It had fully formed seed pods which should burst open in another week or so. The seed pods are the aesthetic opposite of the flowers. I may have to go back to collect some seeds.

Joe

indian_whiskey.jpg

I would say you should definitely go gather some seeds.

Who doesn't want temporary blindness and hallucinations? Sounds like a great weekend.

I actually have injested this plant, not fun. 2 days of crazy, and outlandish happenings. I ate over 185 seeds and it did not go well. But I love the plant, its beautiful.

I was young and dumb, never again.

I actually have injested this plant, not fun. 2 days of crazy, and outlandish happenings. I ate over 185 seeds and it did not go well. But I love the plant, its beautiful.

I was young and dumb, never again.

Wow! You took a potentially lethal dose -- glad you're still with us.

From Clinical Toxicology Review: "All parts of the plant are toxic. They are ingested, smoked and absorbed topically especially through mucous membranes. The exact concentration of specific alkaloids varies with species, cultivation, environment, temperature, moisture, and storage. The range of toxicity is highly variable and unpredictable; toxicity may vary from leaf to leaf, plant to plant and season to season. This contributes to the danger of misuse of the plant since the dose cannot be predicted. The highest concentration occurs in the seeds: approximately 0.1 mg of atropine per seed or 3-6 mg/50-100 seeds. An estimated lethal dose in an adult is >10 mg atropine or >2-4 mg scopolamine."

I've always wanted one in the garden because the flowers are so spectacular, but the plant's toxicity has always given me pause.

Joe

Unlike traditional psychedelics, these plants produce true hallucinations. These typically consist of visits by fauna, old friends, deceased loved ones, and other complex interactions. Due to the effects that anticholinergics have on nicotine addiction, tobacco users will often smoke "phantom cigarettes", or crave smoking but are not together enough to handle a lit cigarette safely.

While this may sound very interesting, the experience lacks the novelty of psychedelics which make the experience spiritually useful and/or recreational. While using similar substances I once saw a sock walk across the park, and while that might sound amusing or novel, to this day it isn't - it was very matter-of-fact, and uninspiring as any other event. While using datura, I spoke to a small dog in a cupboard, but again, while sounding amusing, the event was not at all that way, and in no way significant or special. This lack of novelty makes anticholinergics very unappealing, and the only significance of the experience was the extremely profound side effects: drowsiness, estreme dry mouth, cramping and generally feeling miserable.

Anticholinergics have a tendency to cause cardiac problems due to effects on smooth muscles, dehydration, and disorientation so significant that it actually becomes dangerous. People have been known to do things unknowing while using datura, such as drive, walk off from tall buildings, wander into traffic, etc. Datura and Belladona specificlly are extremely long-lasting, which makes trip sitting very difficult. I personally have never found any entheogenic uses for anticholinergics, despite having long traditional uses as such.

As a harm reduction advocate, I personally feel that anticholinergics are simply too dangerous to consider without a cultural understanding and context to their use, and I know of no one who would consider these drugs to have any recreational use. Natural sources specifically are very unreliable, and vary widely not only from plant to plant but also from plant part to plant part (one seed pod might do nothing, while anotehr might be toxic).

Not trying to threadjack either but I never realized that Jimson Weed was closely related and is also highly hallucinogenic. This photo sucks but it shows the flower similarity and completely different leaf morphology.

Jimson Weed by Infinite Day, on Flickr

I have 'purposely' grown this flower for the last 7 years. It is definitely a favorite in my garden, as well as many gardens in southern Indiana...despite its toxicity. :sexywink: In this area most people refer to Datura as "Moonflowers" or "Angel Trumpets" (although Angel Trumpets actually hang towards the ground not upwards towards the moon). The seed pod is often referred to as, "The devil's apple."

7_25_11_Moonflower.jpg

This is a beautiful photograph, Wellman! The lighting is just fantastic. I really like the subtly you have there.

Moonflower more often refers to Ipomea Alba, which have heart-shaped leaves and lack the thorny fruit and significant psychoactivity and toxicity. However, due to some claims on the internet that suggest some mild psychoactive effects, I. Alba is a plant of interest for those who experiment with psychoactive compounds. Hearing that in some places Datura species go by the name "Moon Flower" concerns me a bit.

From what I am seeing, Kamelean's specemin looks more like an Ipomea (Morning Glory) to me than a Datura, though the two share some superficial similarities. Some Ipomeas are also significantly psychoactive through a very different means which is actually pretty interesting. It appears that there is a fungus associated with these plants related to ergot (think salem witch trials, though far less toxic than the fungus Clavicepts purpurea), however, it does not associated with every species and cannot be transfered from plant to plant except by germination. Instead, it is only propagates when the host plant is growing, it accumulates in the seed and then hosts future generations once the seed germinates. While in Datura the active components are believed to be primarily scopalamine and atropine, in these morning glory-related species it is believed to be lysergic acid amide (debateable) and other compounds related to, though not nearly as strong and differs considerably from, LSD.

Proper identification between Ipomea and Datura is absolutely essential to avoid accidental poisoning. Ipomea seeds also are much larger and are tear-shaped and typically come out of tear-shaped pods that contain 3-6 seeds. Not all Ipomea are psychoactive and many, especially the popular ornimental varieties, are toxic to some extent usually resulting in stomach cramps, severe vomiting, nausea and flue-like symptoms. Only the seeds contain enough psychoactive compounds to have any effect.

Last edited:
unpopular said:
This is a beautiful photograph, Wellman! The lighting is just fantastic. I really like the subtly you have there.

Moonflower more often refers to Ipomea Alba, which have heart-shaped leaves and lack the thorny fruit and significant psychoactivity and toxicity. However, due to some claims on the internet that suggest some mild psychoactive effects, I. Alba is a plant of interest for those who experiment with psychoactive compounds. Hearing that in some places Datura species go by the name "Moon Flower" concerns me a bit.

From what I am seeing, Kamelean's specemin looks more like an Ipomea (Morning Glory) to me than a Datura, though the two share some superficial similarities. Some Ipomeas are also significantly psychoactive through a very different means which is actually pretty interesting. It appears that there is a fungus associated with these plants related to ergot (think salem witch trials, though far less toxic than the fungus Clavicepts purpurea), however, it does not associated with every species and cannot be transfered from plant to plant except by germination. Instead, it is only propagates when the host plant is growing, it accumulates in the seed and then hosts future generations once the seed germinates. While in Datura the active components are believed to be primarily scopalamine and atropine, in these morning glory-related species it is believed to be lysergic acid amide (debateable) and other compounds related to, though not nearly as strong and differs considerably from, LSD.

Proper identification between Ipomea and Datura is absolutely essential to avoid accidental poisoning. Ipomea seeds also are much larger and are tear-shaped and typically come out of tear-shaped pods that contain 3-6 seeds. Not all Ipomea are psychoactive and many, especially the popular ornimental varieties, are toxic to some extent usually resulting in stomach cramps, severe vomiting, nausea and flue-like symptoms. Only the seeds contain enough psychoactive compounds to have any effect.

The one I shot was the Datura. I have them in my garden, and they bloom every night. I haven't succeeded getting a good full bloom shot yet.

^^ yep. you're right. I was looking at it wrong; I saw the leaf in the upper left corner and thought it was heart-shaped.

I have 'purposely' grown this flower for the last 7 years. It is definitely a favorite in my garden, as well as many gardens in southern Indiana...despite its toxicity. :sexywink: In this area most people refer to Datura as "Moonflowers" or "Angel Trumpets" (although Angel Trumpets actually hang towards the ground not upwards towards the moon). The seed pod is often referred to as, "The devil's apple."

7_25_11_Moonflower.jpg

"Angel Trumpets" are Brugmansia & may be viewed @ this link:

brugmansia - Google Search

Thank you for the comments Unpopular.

And thanks Ron, I know what Angel Trumpets are, but Datura is still mistakenly called by the incorrect name. Even I call them Angel Trumpets on occasion. These flowers have a very special meaning for my family so we've nicknamed them several different things over the years. I've never cared much for the 'real' Angel Trumpets and compared to the Datura Innoxia they stink to high heaven.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back