Sammy

DanOstergren

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Natural light portrait of Sammy Vee, with a silver reflector used for a vertical clam shell effect.
Shot using the original Canon 5D with a Canon 85mm f/1.8 lens attached set to f/3.5, 1/160th sec, ISO 640.
_MG_4682.jpg

What a Handsome shot that is!

If its bot a promotional shot it should be.

I remember reading somewhere here on this forum about the complexities of highlights on people having dark skin tones. I believe it was in one of your previous posts quite awhile back. That is the first thing I noticed in this one, and so you impressed me with your spot editing to keep the highlights down on his left side and still give enough lighting to see the features on his right side. You are a master at portraiture, Dan. You should teach.

Really nice imagery.

I remember reading somewhere here on this forum about the complexities of highlights on people having dark skin tones. I believe it was in one of your previous posts quite awhile back. That is the first thing I noticed in this one, and so you impressed me with your spot editing to keep the highlights down on his left side and still give enough lighting to see the features on his right side. You are a master at portraiture, Dan. You should teach.
Thank you. I didn't really do much for spot editing in this shot; with all skin, it comes down to how you use your lighting, and I don't feel as if I photograph any particular skin color differently than another, it's just that I use a few different light sculpting techniques that tend to be really flattering to all people's features.
Thank you. I've thought about hosting workshops and making video content, but haven't quite found the motivation yet. Normally I think speaking to a group would be difficult, but the idea of teaching my craft to a group sounds exciting and is something that I don't think would make me feel vulnerable or lacking in confidence. Maybe one day soon.

Last edited:
Charismatic portrait of a charismatic model. Well done with the natural light.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back