Saturation Shift

deeky

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have a photo that seems to be shifting saturation depending on where it goes. On my machine, regardless of program, and on TPF and Flickr it looks fine. I sent it to my wife at work so she could use it as her desktop wallpaper. When she first opened it, it looked fine. But when she set it as her background, it became very desaturated and cool. We also sent it out for some prints and it came back the same as on her screen.

Any thoughts?

Shot in RAW, converted in LR and edited in PS Elements 11, saved as TIF then converted to jpeg for sending elsewhere. Never had this issue before.

IMG_7460a by breckmiller, on Flickr

You're having color space problems. The photo as you have it posted on Flickr is tagged with the ProPhoto color space. Applications adhering to proper color management specs will display it correctly. Others, of which there are many, will display the photo incorrectly. Your best bet in dealing with non-color managed applications is to tag the photo in the sRGB color space. They'll still screw it up but the difference will be much less noticeable than what you're seeing now.

LR assigned the ProPhoto color space when it converted the raw file. Elements left it alone. You need to make the switch either in LR when you export the file or in Elements when you save the final JPEG.

Joe

Thanks for the explanation. I'm not sure how that got switched but I'll fix it.

So I've worked through it all. Everything they are telling me for Elements (Color Settings - Always Optimize for Computer Screens) and then select the "Select ICC" button in the "Save As" window. It doesn't change the results as far my apparent color space issues and compatibility with other programs.

The only thing I can see is that the ICC button I need to click in the Save As window also says Pro Color.

Any suggestions?

So I've worked through it all. Everything they are telling me for Elements (Color Settings - Always Optimize for Computer Screens) and then select the "Select ICC" button in the "Save As" window. It doesn't change the results as far my apparent color space issues and compatibility with other programs.

The only thing I can see is that the ICC button I need to click in the Save As window also says Pro Color.

Any suggestions?

In Elements under the Image menu there should be an option "Convert to Profile." There you should be able convert the photo to the sRGB color space before you save the final JPEG.

Joe

That's it. Thanks again. I was assuming a change in Elements would straighten it out, but obviously not.

Most reactions

Back