Saving your photos on CD's

Lally0724

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
What type of CD storage do you use for your digital photographs? Just a plain old burnable CD, or are there special ones for photographs? Thanks for your help,
Lally

I use standard writeable CDs although i generally stick to a well known brand like Sony or TDK. I've used cheaper ones in the past and they damage more easily. The extra expense for the brand name is worth it in my opinion.
I also sometimes burn onto DVD. Again, on a known brand. I also have a remote hard drive which I use for storage aswell.

A standard CD made by a company that you trust would be fine.

Yup...it does not matter what you are storing in the disks...it all just digital info 11001101010110000001111 :D

From what I read, a while ago, there are good quality disks and poor quality disks. It's hard to tell the difference because there is no official standard. As mentioned, sticking with a good name brand is usually the best bet.

Take good care of the CDs...keep them out of the sun..and somewhere cool & dry.

Use CD-R rather than CD-RW. Don't write on the disc; if you have to write on the disc use a pen made for writing on CDs. Sharpies will dissolve the CD over time. Only write on the clear plastic ring in the center of the disc. Store upright in cases.

It seems to me that MAM-A Gold Archival CDs are considered to be the best available right now.

EDIT: A good strategy is to burn to 2 different brand of CDs. Then if one of them turns out to have a flaw that only shows up over time you are still covered.

ksmattfish said:
Use CD-R rather than CD-RW. Don't write on the disc; if you have to write on the disc use a pen made for writing on CDs. Sharpies will dissolve the CD over time. Only write on the clear plastic ring in the center of the disc. Store upright in cases.

It seems to me that MAM-A Gold Archival CDs are considered to be the best available right now.

EDIT: A good strategy is to burn to 2 different brand of CDs. Then if one of them turns out to have a flaw that only shows up over time you are still covered.

I thought that Sharpie made some changes and they are OK now..??

Steve :thumbup:

Most reactions

Back