SB-22 flash, need compatable triggers.

Mana

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have the Nikon SB-22 flash (a little old school, but for $50 I couldn't say no) and I really want to start working with off camera flash. I want to know if any of you have this flash, and what triggers you use for it. I really don't want to spend money on a trigger that isn't compatible.

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum.

Some triggers allow communication between flash and camera, just as if the flash was on the camera. This allows for TTL (auto flash metering) provided, of course, that the flash is compatible with the camera to start with. This system is even built into some cameras and flashes...I don't think the SB22 is one of those though. Most of the triggers are just simple devices, they tell the flash when to fire and there is no communication back and forth, no auto flash metering.

So with a simple flash trigger, there isn't really anything to worry about in terms of compatibility. As long as you can connect the receiver to the flash, it should fire.

Some triggers have a hot shoe, just like on the camera. So all you would need to do, is slide the flash onto the shoe. Some triggers don't have a shoe, so you would need to use a cord. Does the SB-22 have a PC sync port (round metal connection)? If so, the triggers probably come with a cord to fit that. If the flash does not have a PC port, then you would also need to get a Hot Shoe adapter. FlashZebra.com: Flash Hotshoe Adapters I would recommend the miniphone jack model, because miniphone is a more secure connection than PC.

Thanks Mike! Yes, I do see the PC port on the side of my flash. Hopefully I can pick up a trigger set and have no issues.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back