What's new

sea rats revisited

bribrius

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Joined
Jan 12, 2014
Messages
8,708
Reaction score
1,312
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
DSC_1264_3828.webp
 
Too much all over the board to be a good picture. The rocks and the right 2/3 is the most interesting.
 
The gulls are too small in this image to be the principle subject.
I thought the rocks were the main subject. I guess I just missed the whole thing about rats!
 
This is a very disjointed photo...it has no clear subject, and the eye has little to enjoy. There's a big plane with sand, the seawall, then the buildings, and yes, there is a seagull in the shot, but overall this shot is just terribly composed. There are also the rocks, yeah, and the stairs, but the way this is actually organized within the frame is unpleasant to look at.
 
One thing that might really help is a heavy crop to isolate the foreground rocks and the stairs behind ... I like the droopy drippy rust stains :-)
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Banned
  • #9
lol. okay, hear me out guys and then you will see my "problem" here. I can center attention on the rocks, and make a photo. I can use a leading to the staircase. I could concentrate JUST on the staircase. Probably a couple abstracts in here too. Anytime I can narrow the photo and concentrate on a single thing, well it becomes easier.
what I cant seem to do is just make a amazing photo over a wider angle. I guess I hope the colors would save this one.
no, the gulls aren't the ONLY subject. it is a hundred foot stretch of beach and they take up about two feet of it. lol
 
DSC_1264_3830_3843.webp


you might find that a little more appealing, I just cropped half the photo...
 
Too much all over the board to be a good picture. The rocks and the right 2/3 is the most interesting.
pretty much said it right here. thanks guys I guess it don't work. lol
 
There is an old saying that painting is the art of inclusion, while photography is the art of exclusion; the painter decides what elements to deliberately include in his image, while the photographer must decide what to exclude from his image. Your heavy crop is a demonstration of how the photographer can radically change the image by excluding parts of the scene that existed at the time the shutter was tripped.
 
OK, *now* my eye finds the gulls. Only just now did I realize there was a second gull, it was a cool surprise :icon_thumright:. I wonder if a BW conversion & tinkering w the channels would bring them out?
 
You know, if you can get back to that stretch of beach, I'd love to see what could be made of those rocks, with the lush moss on one side, and scroungy dark stuff on the other ... maybe close up with an ultra wide angle? Just thinking out loud.
 
There is an old saying that painting is the art of inclusion, while photography is the art of exclusion; the painter decides what elements to deliberately include in his image, while the photographer must decide what to exclude from his image. Your heavy crop is a demonstration of how the photographer can radically change the image by excluding parts of the scene that existed at the time the shutter was tripped.
I should write that down and pin it to my forehead I need it.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom