Searching for a rare springtail, sadly no luck so far.

Where do you look and how do you find these tiny guys? Or do you setup some kind of trap? I have been following this guy's springtail photos, Kugelspringer (Springtail) Collembola, for a while now and always wanted to give it a shot but have no idea howto find them.

Where do you look and how do you find these tiny guys? Or do you setup some kind of trap? I have been following this guy's springtail photos, Kugelspringer (Springtail) Collembola, for a while now and always wanted to give it a shot but have no idea howto find them.
If you have a big enough garden the easiest way is to leave some small bits of waste wood lying around and every few weeks turn them over.
The more the better of course and newspaper is an alternative but not as pretty or convenient)
(Someone from a colder climate than me, hopefully will explain how the dynamic works in the canadian winter, in the UK they decline in the summer as it gets drier).
Another way - and the only way I have ever seen Pseudoscorpions is to get a garden sieve and take soil or leaf litter and sieve on to a surface, newspaper is better than nothing.
Obviously the height of the Canadian summer might not be so good, but you should get both most of the rest of the year.

A Pseudoscorpion I found like this, good luck I am sure you will find something
EF7A9726Psuedoscorpion by davholla2002, on Flickr

Most reactions

Back