2) One of Seattle's newer attractions A ferris wheel on a dock
avesypap.jpg

3)At the seattle aquarium. Found out that its hard to shoot into a fish tank
sy3y4y5a.jpg

4) The Argosy boat
gamurezu.jpg

5) Just some regular stadium lights from the Monster Energy Supercross
umeduqa6.jpg

6) A red crane. One is color splashed. Just desaturate and then use the history brush
te2e9uju.jpg
a6ytapeq.jpg

7) Same place but to the side. I had to add a filter to make it look somewhat good
5ame3e8u.jpg

8) A group of buildings. One with a color splash and both with a tint
a9yqu2e3.jpg

Way too many at once. I like #1,2 and 8.

Oops hit the post button.

8 continued
9a7utapy.jpg

9) walk dude
9emyje7a.jpg

10) Just the space needle with a few effects
edery2ad.jpg

qumazubu.jpg

11) This one ain't the best but I just had to take it.
yqy8a7ug.jpg

12) A few pigeons I was stalking
gu7amahe.jpg

vy9ymy3e.jpg

All photos shot with a Nikon d5000 and either a 18-55mm or 55-200mm. Suggestions and or comments are welcome.

Some of these go mixed up. U will know which ones. Thnx

yhyra8y3.jpg

Word of advice: Lose the effects and sharpen your focus.

Now I am not saying any of these are top notch. Especially the space needle. I get a few and they dont turn out nearly as good as I hoped. So then I take it, and try to turn it around with software to make it look somewhat descent.

Any other suggestions would be nice though so are compliments

Now I am not saying any of these are top notch. Especially the space needle. I get a few and they dont turn out nearly as good as I hoped. So then I take it, and try to turn it around with software to make it look somewhat descent.

Really no offence meant but you simply can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Concentrate more on getting things right in camera in the first place and try to rely less on fixing things with software afterwards.

At the moment your photos look like a series of snapshots, which is okay if that's what you like; however, they don't hold the attention of the viewer for very long. Instead of snapping away trying to get photos of anything and everything, whittle things down a bit and go for quality over quantity.

Perhaps you should get a book to take you through the first steps. I swear by John Hedgecoe personally.

It takes time to learn the basics but, just like the foundation beneath a structure, they are the necessary building blocks of photography. Look at the pigeons in #12 and the Ferris wheel in #2. They are both underexposed because your meter picked up that expanse of sky and adjusted the exposure for that. Look at the focus in #4, #5, #6, and #7. The focus is off in all of them. These are basic elements of photography that absolutely, positively must be gotten right. Especially focus since exposure can be compensated for in post-processing up to a point.

I'm not trying to discourage you but you have to get the basics down cold. Adding a lot of effects to an otherwise dull photograph simply creates a dull photograph with a bunch of effects added. Effects are meant to enhance something, to make it better, but you have to start with a good foundation (there's that word again).

On the other hand you are getting out, taking photographs, and trying. I commend that since it is more than some people do. Some people just sit around and complain about not understanding what they are doing without ever trying. They want the instant gratification of having all the knowledge without going through the learning curve, and that isn't possible. We can learn as much or more from our mistakes as we can from our successes as long as we keep an open mind and choose to learn.

Start Here. This is an excellent series of tutorials that cover the basics of photography and I highly recommend them. As you read through them apply them to this series of photographs and the comments here will make more sense.

Most reactions

Back