Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Pictures1141edited.jpg

Camera make: EASTMAN KODAK COMPANY
Camera model: KODAK EASYSHARE Z710 ZOOM DIGITAL CAMER
Date/Time: 2007:04:10 17:11:15
Resolution: 480 x 640
Flash used: No
Focal length: 17.5mm (35mm equivalent: 105mm)
Exposure time: 0.050 s (1/20)
Aperture: f/3.2
ISO equiv.: 400
Whitebalance: Auto
Metering Mode: matrix
Exposure: Manual
Exposure Mode: Auto bracketing

Comments and Critiques would be great!!!
Anyone think it's too tight of a crop?

Hey schumionbike

I think this is a good attempt at a self portrait.

Why did you choose to set the exposure manually on this shot? IMO the exposure is a little long to be hand held (the image isn't as sharp as it could be).

There is a rule of thumb that can be used to make sure your photos are sharp. Generally, you should not take a shot by hand slower than 1/focal length. ie for this case the length is 105mm, so to get a sharp image you should use a shutter speed of around 1/105 seconds or faster. This shot is only taken at 1/20 seconds.

Upping the ISO level and/or dropping the aperture (probably not the aperture in this case) will speed up the shutter speed as you probably already know.

Also, if your camera has a self timed option and you have access to a tripod this may be another way to take a self portrait and the image will be sharper this way too.

Nice work

Hey thanks for the reply. You point out something that I didn't notice before too. I knew about the rule of the thumb but I didn't realize that my shutter speed was that slow compare to my focal lenght.

I set the exposure to manual basically for learning purposes. The ISO on this camera is max out at 400 and aperture could go 2.8 but sometimes it can't. I have no idea why. I will try some of the auto mode later to see how the camera does it.

I don't have a tripod so that's just unfortunate. Thanks for the reply though, I will keep in mind these tips next time I shoot anything.

the reason your camera can't always go to f/2.8 is because when it zooms in it can no longer let in that much light, its a characteristic of cheaper lenses.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back