Selfie #3

JonA_CT

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Some more practice. Time to branch out with different light directions, but it's so much easier when another person is the subject.

I think for this one, I'd have bumped up the fill light another 1/3 of a stop, and maybe swung it further to camera right so it was in front of me a bit more.

selfie 3.jpg

I would agree that moving the light a bit more in front of you might have been a good idea. This is mostly a split lighting pattern, but it has had a lot of fill light added to the shadow side of the face.

And you are totally,totally right:selfies are difficult, and you lose the benefit of being able to literally see what the light is doing as the light unit is moved through a range of placements, both in height, and in lateral positioning in relation to the lens axis.

One nit I see with this is the low eyeball fill light side's catchlight, and then the high-eyeball catchlight on the side the main light was on; this makes your eyes look a bit odd, with the different heights for the catchlights. I personally think this shot would have benefitted from no fill lighting, and the movement of the light around, to a more frontal direction, the way you had mentioned above.

Most reactions

Back