Session with Emily....

mechristy273

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello, I am new to this forum. I joined to get feedback, ideas and assistance with my photography. This is a session I completed a few weeks ago. Please let me know what you think. ;)

I've noticed the bottom picture her one eye is turned in.

$IMG_3600.jpg

Attachments

• $emily.jpg
    $emily.jpg
    472.7 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
Welcome to the forum.

In the interest of constructive criticism, I do see some room for improvement.

The exposure looks pretty good in all of them, although the white balance / skin tone is different in the one on the right.

In the top/left image; I don't like that she is looking out of the frame (not at the camera). It's not that a subject has to be looking, but if they are not looking, it should be with some definitive purpose or direction. The subject's expression will often make or break it....and this one isn't working for me.
Also, you really have to watch a subject's hands, in terms of posing. In this image, her hands are nearly the size of her visible face, and just as bright. So the viewer's eye is drawn to the hands, when it should be directed more toward the face. The key is to minimize the impact of the hands, a good tip is to pose them so that the back of the hand is never flat to the camera. Instead, have them pose their hands so that the thin edge is toward the camera.

In the lower/left image; You mentioned the issue with her eye. That might just be an awkward moment or maybe that is just how she is. Nobody's perfect after all.
I'm not really crazy about the leaf/flower in front of her face, or the branch on the other size. They are just distracting elements IMO. But I do like the diagonal line that leads up to her face.

The one on the right; I mentioned the WB/color shift. It may not be so bad, but when we can see other photos at the same time, the difference tends to stand out.
The big issue with this one, IMO, is that it's a vertical orientation, yet a horizontal pose...and you've cut off her feet. The space above here isn't really helping the photo, and at the top we can see through the bush to the building behind...and that is distracting to the image. If you are set on using this image, I'd crop it closer.
Also, the blanket is very bright, it draws the viewer's attention. I get that she doesn't want to just lay on the ground, but this blanket isn't a good choice and/or too much of it is showing. Again, the back of the hand is flat to the camera.
Lastly, her expression isn't great. We can see from another photo that she has a nice smile so lets see it. Not just the 'are we done yet' look.
I know that coaxing a good expression out of someone, especially a child, can be the hardest part of a photo shoot....but a really good expression will trump most technical issues, so do what you have to do to get them.

I don't know if you realize it, but you do have some classical posing going on, not perfect, but some elements, like high hand and low hand, S curve, 3/4 turn. However, there's no quality of light in these photos. Light illuminates and shadows define; you need both. That's one of the most major things that can improve and distinguish your photography. The photos need more oomph and some of the backgrounds are too detailed/distracting.

Big Mike, I wish more people realized what you're saying about creativity and equipment. Photographers are born, not made. Equipment is just a tool.

Her teeth look a fair bit yellow, I'd do something about that. You don't want to change the actual shape of her teeth, but you might de-emphasize some of her natural but less flattering elements, as well as whiten them up a bit.

Thank all of you for your input. I will work on the areas you've stated above. I appreciate your honest opinions. :)..... I would like to post a few other pictures from this session (one of her laying on the rug, but this time she is smiling and the photo is cropped) If you would be interested in seeing them.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back