What's new

Shadow Dancing

invisible

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Joined
Mar 10, 2007
Messages
5,213
Reaction score
983
Location
Canada
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
p1458040724-4.jpg
 
Looking at that image, I remembered this song:

Yes, let us dance.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I really like photos that can switch back and forth between perspectives. I know this is a rail alongside a wall, but it can also look like its standing up from a stone walkway.

Joe
 
Totally see what you're doing with the lines (or at least I think I do), but the end result doesn't grab me much. Have you tried b/w? Probably an obvious question.
 
Not feeling it, good concept just need to stick the landing.
 
Kinda gives me a headache if I stare at it too long...LOL
 
Ah, you people are looking but you're not "seeing".

What works for me in the image is the number of contrasts that were captured. The first is the transformation of the horizontal and vertical lines into diagonals – neither takes primacy over the other. The large, thick stone blocks contrast nicely with the slender fence. The shadow introduces a new element – triangles. The play of the shadow on the rough blocks emphasizes the roughness while contrasting with the straight lines of the rails. The warm tones of the stone are on the light end, while the rust on the fence are on the dark end. There is a dance going on, with the two close to each other, but not quite touching – one leans this way, the other leans that way, and the massive solidity dances with the lightness of the thin and long... And they dance together, to the end of love, to the end of time...
 
Last edited:
Well I'd never assert I have the soul of an artist, so maybe I'm just missing it.

Where's mish?
 
Looking at that image, I remembered this song:
The title for this photo actually was stolen from this:



I really like photos that can switch back and forth between perspectives. I know this is a rail alongside a wall, but it can also look like its standing up from a stone walkway.

Joe
I enjoy photos like that too, a lot. I didn't realize that this one could produce that effect, it was not my intention :)

Totally see what you're doing with the lines (or at least I think I do), but the end result doesn't grab me much. Have you tried b/w? Probably an obvious question.
I did try a B&W conversion but I ditched it because the resulting tonal range was not interesting to me.

Ah, you people are looking but you're not "seeing".

What works for me in the image is the number of contrasts that were captured. The first is the transformation of the horizontal and vertical lines into diagonals – neither takes primacy over the other. The large, thick stone blocks contrast nicely with the slender fence. The shadow introduces a new element – triangles. The play of the shadow on the rough blocks emphasizes the roughness while contrasting with the straight lines of the rails. The warm tones of the stone are on the light end, while the rust on the fence are on the dark end. There is a dance going on, with the two close to each other, but not quite touching – one leans this way, the other leans that way, and the massive solidity dances with the lightness of the thin and long... And they dance together, to the end of love, to the end of time...
I'd love to be able to claim that all of that went through my mind when I framed this scene, but the truth is it didn't :) It's nice to see other people's interpretation though.

Well I'd never assert I have the soul of an artist, so maybe I'm just missing it.

Where's mish?
Mishele gave her sign of approval with a thunderous 'like' before your comment, so it's just you :)

Seriously speaking, I was grabbed by the way the shadow "distorted" the frame, so I spent a while trying to find a framing that would make this interesting to others too. I'm not sure about the resulting image myself so I can completely understand if it doesn't speak to some of you guys. I appreciate the feedback.

Thanks all!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
:lol: on the mish thing.

It's always me. I suck. :)
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom