Shadows from Flash

Fleetwood271

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Thanks!

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
You also could have just bounced the flash off of the ceiling, possibly.

That is precisely when & why it's a good idea to use a flash bracket. As mentioned, you could try bouncing the flash off the ceiling, or walls...or even aimed behind you so it bounces all around. But if you are just bouncing toward the ceiling/model, you might still get that side shadow.

Of course, if you can get the flash off-camera, you can get much better quality lighting and send the (background) shadows far away to the side.

If you can, try bouncing your flash anyway as much as you can.... white cielings or walls give a way nicer bounced light!

That ceiling was way to high, and angled wrong to use for bounce effectively.

There is a law of nature that comes into play called the Inverse Square law. Light falls off as a square function of distance. If you double the distance, with the same light power output only 1/4 as much light reaches the subject. Double the distance again and only 1/16 as much light reaches the subject.

When considering using bounce, you have to understand the distance is from the camera to the bounce surface (overhead or to the side), and then back to the subject. Plus, light from above tends to give subjects dark eye sockets (raccoon eyes). The eyes are the 'window to the soul' and are very important to making good people photos. When using bounced flash the raccoon eyes issue can be mitigated by using a bounce card that directs some of the bounced light directly at the subject. In fact, I believe your SB-700 has a bounce card built right into it specifically for that purpose.

For the shot you posted, to minimize the shadow you would want the light higher than she was, so the shadow would down and well below her.

Using light in photography is a lot like shooting pool. It's all about the angles.

I would have gone all MacGyver and found a piece of thick white paper or cardboard, an elastic band or tape and made a bounce card.

I would have gone all MacGyver and found a piece of thick white paper or cardboard, an elastic band or tape and made a bounce card.

i just watched that movie few days ago lmao funny movie... and yea MissCream's idea is good or like others said bouncing off the ceiling.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Thanks!

Last edited:
Thanks!

Last edited:
Thanks!

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back