Shaun

DanOstergren

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A portrait I shot earlier this week. He is the husband of one of my headshot clients, and I had him stand in for a "light test" while his wife was getting ready. The truth is I already knew what the light would look like and I always use the same exposure setting in studio, I just wanted an excuse to shoot a portrait of him. Good thing he liked it.

Shot with the original Canon 5D with a Canon 100mm f/2.8 macro usm lens attached set to f/11, 1/160th sec, ISO 100. Lit with a single Neewer C300 flash and softbox.
_MG_1962_1.jpg

Super imagery.

It’s a great portrait. I’m not loving the distracting shirt but since he wasn’t you’re real client I guess that was out of your control.

It’s a great portrait. I’m not loving the distracting shirt but since he wasn’t you’re real client I guess that was out of your control.
Thank you. Personally I really love the shirt, but I can see how some might think of it as distracting.

If you don't mind, why do you use a high f stop? I'm still learning about portrait photography and the impression I'm getting is around 5.6 is usual (I know it depends on the DOF the photographer is after).
I have also read the the f stop is used control the flash exposure.

Nice shot. I don't do portraits but I do have a 105 mm Sigma macro lens the manufacturers description said was good for portraits. I can see now why they said that, @ 100 mm the detail really comes through. :headbang:

Maybe I'll give it a go one day.

Well done yet again!

There is only one single point I see.
The color cast on the white of the shirt I am assuming should be white.
I personally see a blue cast. Its not CA, but I am wondering if its something else.

May just be me.

If you don't mind, why do you use a high f stop? I'm still learning about portrait photography and the impression I'm getting is around 5.6 is usual (I know it depends on the DOF the photographer is after).
I have also read the the f stop is used control the flash exposure.
I tend to position my flash fairly close to my subject so I can attain some contrast and also so that the catch-lights in the eyes are big. This means that the light is pretty bright on their face even if the flash is set to it's lowest output, and the high f/stop balances that out. I'm also using a lens that has a long focal length with a thin depth of field when you're close to someone's face, and the high f/stop ensures that everything important is in focus. Even at f/11, the depth of field on a 100mm lens is thin enough to cause one eye to be out of focus if I'm not careful about head positioning or lighting.

Nice shot. I don't do portraits but I do have a 105 mm Sigma macro lens the manufacturers description said was good for portraits. I can see now why they said that, @ 100 mm the detail really comes through. :headbang:

Maybe I'll give it a go one day.
Thank you.

Well done yet again!

There is only one single point I see.
The color cast on the white of the shirt I am assuming should be white.
I personally see a blue cast. Its not CA, but I am wondering if its something else.

May just be me.
Thanks for the feedback.

Ok, thanks for the reply. That's along the lines I was thinking.
That lens really does have a thin DOF.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back