Shooting at concerts

quad b

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm looking to start taking some shots at concerts, mostly indoor gigs, and was wondering what type of lense would be best for this. Obviously something around f/1.4 or 1.8, but should i be considering a zoom lense or prime?

when ever i have done concerts, i use a 85-200 mm zoom. That way, i can get both closeups of faces as well as full body shots with out having to change the lens, when in a concert setting is a pain in the @$$....

I use a combination of my 18-55, 50 and 70-300. The last one very rarely works as the smallest aperture is 5.6, but sometimes if someone is very brightly lit you can get away with it on 1600.

The 1.8 is very useful though, i would say i use it for my safe shots first and then go onto the others.

I'm contemplating buying a 17-50 2.8, but I also like the idea of the 28-70 2.8 as this is probably the range of most of the photos. I also like a wide angle for crowd shots though. hmmmm.

i like the sound of 85-200. i've got the 70-300, but being 5.6 i don't think it would be much help. i've also got the kit lense for the d70s, so i should be able to change between the two if i need.

Most reactions

Back