Shopping for a Battery Grip for Nikon D80, eBay or?

scottmandue

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Just bought a nice used Nikon D80 and shopping for a Battery Grip.
Many are listed on eBay, most from China, I bought one from a guy who claimed to be in California but pretty sure he just drop ships from China (claimed 2-3 day shipping then told me item was out of stock and asked me to allow him two weeks to ship) so I got a refund.
I love B&H and even have ordered from them for work however they only have a knock off for $108.
Cowbowstudio emailed me that they have them in stock @ $60 free shipping... but they have terrible reviews.
Which leaves me with Adorama at $64
Or roll the dice and order one from China off eBay for $46?
There are also multiple listings on Amazon that list a two month delivery so I presume those are shipping out of China.

Depends on how much you trust eBay. Other thing to consider, how much is the shipping from China vs Adorama?

Just bought a nice used Nikon D80 and shopping for a Battery Grip.
Many are listed on eBay, most from China, I bought one from a guy who claimed to be in California but pretty sure he just drop ships from China (claimed 2-3 day shipping then told me item was out of stock and asked me to allow him two weeks to ship) so I got a refund.
I love B&H and even have ordered from them for work however they only have a knock off for $108.
Cowbowstudio emailed me that they have them in stock @ $60 free shipping... but they have terrible reviews.
Which leaves me with Adorama at $64
Or roll the dice and order one from China off eBay for $46?
There are also multiple listings on Amazon that list a two month delivery so I presume those are shipping out of China.

Ok, my method on stuff like this, sort the ebay listings by distance first - then check to see where the seller is and take a look at his/her history. If you see a lot of comments about slow shipping, odds are good your dealing with a drop ship.

Just a couple of listings I found:

MEIKE MK-D80 MULTI-POWER BATTERY PACK FOR NIK0N D80/D90

Meike Vertical Battery Grip for Nikon D90 D80 MB-D80 MB-D90 *Good*

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Depends on how much you trust eBay. Other thing to consider, how much is the shipping from China vs Adorama?

Shipping is free for both, I know I am splitting hairs over $20 but the D80 (the whole kit with bag, two lens, extra battery) was only $200.
I should add I only have $60 in my paypal account (refunded from the first failed purchase)
I guess I could have just waited on the eBay seller but I was pissed that he claimed to have the item in stock then minutes after I made the purchase he auto replied "so sorry item out of stock" which leads me to believe he is actually in China and listing himself as being in California.
And yes I'm being ADD about this, camera is working fine and I'm just being silly... but isn't that what hobbies are all about? :1219:

I should add it is not so much trusting eBay as trusting: "FREE ePacket delivery from China"

Last edited:
Well I have never had an issue with Adorama and I don't do eBay because of the kind of issue you mentioned. It's up to you, it's your money.

Well I have never had an issue with Adorama and I don't do eBay because of the kind of issue you mentioned. It's up to you, it's your money.

I've had pretty good luck with Ebay overall, never lost money because of a product I bought that didn't arrive, etc.

If you stick to folks with a good track record you usually do just fine. I prefer to deal with folks here in the states but I have ordered a few things from overseas, slower shipping but no issues.

I've had pretty good luck with Ebay overall, never lost money because of a product I bought that didn't arrive, etc.

If you stick to folks with a good track record you usually do just fine. I prefer to deal with folks here in the states but I have ordered a few things from overseas, slower shipping but no issues.

I have also bought a bunch of stuff off eBay with no problems... but as you say only from folks in the USA with 99% rating.
It just seems that maybe some people have found a way to hack eBay... many of the ads for the D80 grip list as being in Calif. but when you try to communicate with them they come across as being out of the country.

I have also bought a bunch of stuff off eBay with no problems... but as you say only from folks in the USA with 99% rating.
It just seems that maybe some people have found a way to hack eBay... many of the ads for the D80 grip list as being in Calif. but when you try to communicate with them they come across as being out of the country.

Never a bad idea to send them an email first and ask just any question and see what kind of response you get, if the English is iffy odds are good, yup, overseas seller.. lol

Got lucky, the guy in Calif. responded they have it in stock and it (supposedly) shipped same day (Thursday) so if all goes well I should have it in my hot little hands in a week. $46 + tax was $53 for the grip and a IR remote.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back