thanks for all that!
what's your guys' take on this:
here's an interesting thread on the dual stills/video camera system form those who oft photograph models:
ModelMayhem.com - started shooting stills & video simultaneously...
some pros:
"I will have to try this I'm curious of the actual turnout. the perspective of the video might be useful."
"Wow I know I'm about to really get flamed but...
I think it's a great ideal!!
(Hear me out before anyone douses me with gas)
My main function is as a photographer. That means my MAIN concern is still images. However, I'm looking for every single value-added step that I can take to gain extra profit with low/no extra effort. If I can add a rig like this to my shoots , I can run video as a secondary option. The video camera isn't important at that point as the stills are what my client's ORIGINALLY came to me for.
After the shoot, I'll keep my normal workflow for the images. I 'll slice up the video into individual clips, eliminating the 90% of it that shows my feet as I talk to the model, is shaky, etc. I'll take the best of those clips, use something automated like ANIMOTO to make it look "shiny and purty", and offer that up as an extra service to the client. Every client loves it when I show it big-screen because it makes them look like a "SupaStar" when they put it on FB, MySpace, etc.
It cost me nothing but the annual subscription (which I can easily recoup in two or three shoots) and after that, I can even use it to promote the studio and my services as much as I like, for free.
We, as photographers, have to see the extra value that we can provide the clients these days. Anyone can take a good picture with today's technology. You have to separate yourself from the crowd by what you can offer...
Okay. I'm getting in my Speedos now, preparing for my gasoline bath...
EDIT: It's not a good system if you want a linear video of any good length but it's excellent for grabbing clips that can be used elsewhere..."
"The more I look at this idea the more I like it. And the dual camera rig is very interesting, also.
But how does the union feel about this? You are putting a cameraman out of work.
Have you considered wearing one of the cameras on your head like a hat? How might that work?"
"I'm going to write a blog message about this convergence. I see a lot of resistance to the idea on this thread and I admit I have been too. But I just shot my first few videos myself and I have to say, it is absolutely compelling. Mixing video/audio/stills together is a bad ass media package for just about any event, depending on the intent of the end product.
I see the convergence in technology forcing a convergence in the practitioners of both fields, video and stills. And I think we will see that convergence and I am formally here and now coining the phrase, the emergence of the "event artist".
The event artist captures the event, artistically. Neither a pure artist nor a pure photojournalist, but a mix of both, capturing the event artistically, but with a more compelling spin using the available technological media they have at their disposal. Some day it will be immersive, or 3D or some other as yet undeveloped form. And we will be forced to adapt, or be relegated to the remnant heap of increasingly marginalized old-school players.
Its reality, its technology, its progress, and it cannot be avoided."
--http://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thread_id=531686&page=2