Should I get a Canon SX30IS?

LuigiVN

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello fellas.

I'm a beginner photographer, I've got some experience from some friends who are really good photographers (even won some awards) and have kickass gear (40D, T2i, $3000 lenses etc etc etc) and I'd really like to step up from my familysh compact Lumix to a decent camera. I do not want a DSLR because I can hardly afford the SX30IS and can't really spend more money on lens and other gear so DLSR is a no go for me. Bridges are really nice, except for their small sensor compared to features. A friend also recommends me the Canon G12 since it has a better sensor, more settings and RAW mode but I'd miss the super zoom from the SX30IS because it's mostly what I'm looking for, a big zoom. I've looked to some other cameras like the Panasonic FZ100 or canon S95 but the FZ100 lenses have an incredibly high aberration and don't really like the S95. (I'm open to more suggestions. I want something between $200 and $370)

Since I'm a begginer and would be learning by myself and my buddies (maybe later get into a photography class) should I get the SX30IS?

Thanks.

I know from experience. P&S cameras with big zooms are very difficult to handhold and use at such distance. As far as your question goes, I know nothing about those cameras so I can't really help on specs and what not. I'd suggest saving up for a DSLR. Both Canon and Nikon have entry level cameras that come with a kit lens.

Thanks for the reply. I wouldn't like a DSLR for the moment, zoom is a pretty important feature for me and a decent zoom lens is pretty expensive.

Like you said, large sensors and large zooms don't go together on compact cameras.
The SX30 is a great camera, if you know its limitations, which you do.
You will probably not get high quality images in low light situations, hand holding the camera taking photos of kids running about.
If you do want to add RAW to the mix, you can get Fuji's HS10, which is a great camera with a better DSLR like feel to it,
as you control the zoom by turning the lens barrel itself instead of a tiny knob.

I took a look at the HS10 and DAMN!!!! I'm ****ing impressed... It is a DLSR with a smalles sensor and a fixed lens... The lens barrel turning is pretty familiar to me and i'd feel more comfortable with it. I don't trist the Fuji brand as much as Canon, but looking at some reviews this camera is amazing! And it's cheaper than the SX30IS! Hell... This is a tough choice... I don't know... I'm still open to recommendatios or feedback...

Thanks A LOT eyalg....

Update: After some heavy research on the Fuji HS 10, I noticed that it laggs big time after taking pictures, thyis could be a pain in the ass for me, I'd like a fast bridge but I may sacrifice the manual zoom lens for a faster camera.... Anyone has more suggestions?

Hi there..

I have got the SX1 IS and I really love this camera. The zoom is perfect and you can controll everything manually. Using my new 60D was very easy on day 1, after having this camera for about a year.

However, I have to admit that the photos starts to get grainy at ISO 400 and gets really bad above that. Also, there are some limitations in getting the nice depth of field (you have to really zoom in alot to get it, I used to walk about 10 15 steps away from the subject and zoom in to get that depth of field). Those were the only two reasons that made me move to the 60D as I was getting great photos most of the time but I wanted them always great.

If you can not afford to get a DSLR, then I really recommend it as it really kept a great impression with me. You will get real great images in day light and you will learn alot from it, till you upgrade to your first DSLR.

Best regards,

AAH

Hi there..

I have got the SX1 IS and I really love this camera. The zoom is perfect and you can controll everything manually. Using my new 60D was very easy on day 1, after having this camera for about a year.

However, I have to admit that the photos starts to get grainy at ISO 400 and gets really bad above that. Also, there are some limitations in getting the nice depth of field (you have to really zoom in alot to get it, I used to walk about 10 15 steps away from the subject and zoom in to get that depth of field). Those were the only two reasons that made me move to the 60D as I was getting great photos most of the time but I wanted them always great.

If you can not afford to get a DSLR, then I really recommend it as it really kept a great impression with me. You will get real great images in day light and you will learn alot from it, till you upgrade to your first DSLR.

Best regards,

AAH

Wow, I don't know why they removed so many awesome features of the SX1IS in the later cameras, I'd like one of those, It's got a CMOS sensor, FULL HD movies etc... I'd sacrifice the extra x15 zoom for those... Although in some reviews they say image quality is not excellent... I wonder if the HQ is better than in my other options (SX30IS, Fuji HS10)

I would suggest looking at the Sony HX1 or the new upgrade to it the Sony HX100 coming to the market about the first of May . I think you will be impressed. I am what you would call a semi pro I guess, and the HX1 that I shoot with performs most satisfactorily,once you learn the functions. The camera is a supper zoom. Look at the features of the new HX100 or the previous HX1. I am an old 35mm SLR guy (Pentax) and digital has not come easily for me.

Just my $.02 worth
Dan

Hi LuigiVN:

I'm close like you I have an SX10is, because budget situation, about those cameras. I can tell you will need sacrifice something; may be the quality for the features, I was looking for a good zoom, now I know that was too much zoom (really I'm not to far from subjects and also the quality in not too good, because the noise), after you start shooting no matter what, far or close then you want go for quality quickly.

After I get my SX10is $350 + accessories, 4 month later Canon came out with sx20is (HD video). For me is a nice lab also, I boosted with CHDK (Canon Hack Module) turn the Camera in full manual mode looks like P&S with "steroids" also let you shoot in RAW. I get a video classes in youtube and DVD's. For people with no high budget this is good because you can practice with telefoto and short distance lenses in one camera.

Here some pics: Flickr: iriejoy2000's stuff tagged with sx10is If you like Photoshop CS's you can reduce a little bit the noise with some Plug-ins for it.

After this cam, when I can spend descent money I will get a nice DSLR with nice lenses for now I shoot with CHDK and CS's. If you can afford an good sensor with low budget go for it!

Just my experience with P&S!

Wow, I had NO IDEA that such thing as CHDK existed, Now I can't decide if I should buy SX30IS or Fuji HS10. Fuji has the awesome manual zoom and focus and CMOS sensor, with FULL HD movies and takes like 5 seconds to save a .raw file. I don't know which one to get! Please help me choose

If you're impressed with the HS10, Fuji just recently announced the HS20EXR, the HS10's successor. However, it has yet to be released, and is a bit more pricey. ehre's a link to its description page from Fujifilm, its even got a nifty comparison between the HS10 and HS20EXR, if you scroll down a ways. FinePix HS20 EXR — The ultimate all-in-one just got better | Fujifilm Global And if you don't want to wait, but the HS10 is too iffy, the Fuji S200EXR is just slightly better. I once considered both, but decided to just wait and use my film cameras while I saved for a DSLR.

If you're impressed with the HS10, Fuji just recently announced the HS20EXR, the HS10's successor. However, it has yet to be released, and is a bit more pricey. ehre's a link to its description page from Fujifilm, its even got a nifty comparison between the HS10 and HS20EXR, if you scroll down a ways. FinePix HS20 EXR — The ultimate all-in-one just got better | Fujifilm Global And if you don't want to wait, but the HS10 is too iffy, the Fuji S200EXR is just slightly better. I once considered both, but decided to just wait and use my film cameras while I saved for a DSLR.

The HS20 is definetely beyond my budget so it's a no go for me... S200 seems nice, it has a bigger sensor but it's CCD and i'd lose a lot of nice features like hell of a zoom, HD video, slow motion, etc etc.... Why do you think HS10 is iffy? Reviews seem to point it's a pretty solid camera except for the long saving time for RAW images (that sucks for me ).

The HS20 is definetely beyond my budget so it's a no go for me... S200 seems nice, it has a bigger sensor but it's CCD and i'd lose a lot of nice features like hell of a zoom, HD video, slow motion, etc etc.... Why do you think HS10 is iffy? Reviews seem to point it's a pretty solid camera except for the long saving time for RAW images (that sucks for me ).

Oh yeah...forgot the CCD. Darn my horrible memory.

By ""iffy", I meant, like, if you weren't sure.

What really bothers me is that according to some reviews, it tkes like 5 seconds or more to save a RAW image... I'd use a class 6 memory or better (perhaps class 10 if it helps with this problem)... That's what is keeping me from the HS10...

Most reactions

Back