Should I upgrade?

juvegede

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I right now have a Rebel T2i with a 18-55 lens and a 75-300mm telephoto zoom lens. I only really do wildlife and some landscapes but its only my second year photographing so my question is should I attempt to a better telephoto lens or is what I have good enough? I'm also going to be doing a 16 day trip through USA this summer so would a better wide angle lens be better if needed? Thanks for the opinions!

What is your current gear unable to do that you want it to do?

It really depends on what you are trying to do and when you are shooting.

If you are shooting in daylight all the time than I would say the two lenses you have will do just fine.

If you find yourself shooting in lower light than you might want to look in to getting some faster glass. As far as wide angle it always though the kit 18-55 was always a pretty decent lens. Very capable of doing a lot with it. As far as the 75-300 I never actually used it so I wouldn't know as much about it.

I have the 1100D with the same two lenses. I also do wildlife and landscapes.

For daytime landscapes, the lower end of the 18-55 lens is fine. Do you have the IS version?

I would stick with that for wide angle.

The 75-300 is an ok tele for wildlife but only in good light.

The attached photo is from my 1100D with the 75-300mm at full exensio on a slighty cloudy but bright day. The 75-300 is a cheapish lens (If you have the basic, non IS, non USM version) and is not good in low light, and has slow AF, so while OK for slow moving wildlife, or with a tripod, it is maybe not great for i.e. flying birds.

View attachment 67889

The second photo is a landscape taken using the 18-55 wide-angle on the same body under similar conditions.

$pic.jpg

The EF-S 55-250 f/5-6.3 IS is a bit more modern than the 75-300, covers the 55-70 range (which may or may not be more important to you than 250-300).

If you can save the pennies, the Tamron 150-600mm f/5-6.3 VC looks terrific for wildlife. My current go-to lens is the Canon 70-200 F/4 L.

I also have the T2i and have upgraded my Lenses. What you have will do fine in good light as was said. I have been using the EF 70-300 IS USM which is very affordable at this time but likely not that much better than your 75-300. I have been using the 70-300 as my "go to" wildlife lens and it has served me very well. I just upgraded to a "USED" 100-400L that I got at a good price, if it's in the budget I would recommend it but even used it was expensive. I would simply use what you have unless the 100-400 or Tamron 150-600 is within budget. Both will run around $1100 +/-.

As for better light (Faster glass) I believe you are still looking at a bit of a cost factor. The best I know for low light with some focal range would be the 70-200 f2.8 IS used again will be +/- $1100. New the 70-200 f2.8 IS mkII runs $2500. I have been looking at both for dusk and dawn low light but until the finances catch up from my last purchase that is not going to happen.

Most reactions

Back