showing raw thumnails in CS3/vista??? help

emogirl

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.imageevent.com
Hi Folks...i just got a new laptop with vista and cs3. when opening files in cs3 and browsing to files, it only shows an icon for the raw file....i would like it to show a thumnail for easy choosing.

I have cs3 loaded on my pc, with xp, and it DOES show the thumbnail. I wonder if there is somewhere to click to change this...or is it because on my pc i am using windows picutre and fax viewer as my default and on vista using windows photo gallery, whcih does not show the thumbs.?????

Just go to the view menu and choose thumbnails.
You can also set a default view template so you can browse as a filmstrip.
That's with windows explorer.
If you're talking about the dialog box, then PS has a setting to allow you to save previews. You might have to open and save the file though.
PS also gives the option to use the adobe dialog or the OS native dialog when you bring it up to open a file.
I would assume though that with windows you need to generate the thumbnail database first. That should be as simple as setting windows explorer to thumbnail view before trying to browse that folder in PS.
But why not just use Bridge from within PS to browse, open and manage images? It lets you set the thumbnail size, display EXIF data, and batch process also.

yes, it should be as simple as changing windows to thumbs...but with VISTA, there seems to be no thumbs option that shows the raw file. Just some of the little "things" about vista i hate!! Things to get used to.

I use nikon view,acr to open files...that's what i like..i dont like bridge. But I suppse its just one more thing to get used to!!!

If i am using bridge, is there anyway that i can set it up to default when i double click on the screen (in cs3) to open the files, rather than using a shortcut key that i fill forget, lol, or going to file, browse?

Yeah that's how bridge works. You can launch it within PS, you can launch it seperately, and you can set it to open when you launch PS also.
By default, when you double click a thumb in bridge it opens it in PS inside the camera RAW module. At least for jpegs and RAW files anyway.

Judging by your statement, I assume you don't use keyboard shortcuts.
PS is meant to be used with shortcuts. You can perform functions immediately with shortcuts that takes several clicks through menus and sub-menus with the mouse.
There are also functions that can't be performed without shortcuts too.
Like merging all adjustment layers up or down into a new layer without losing them all. That comes in real handy if you use alot of layers in your work.
There's also shortcuts that load channels as a selection, or elements such as luminance as a selection.
The basic shortcuts such as save, new, open, undo, redo, cut, copy, paste, are all standard shortcuts. Meaning they are the same as most other app shortcuts including OS functions.
Many people are hesitant to learn shortcuts. But once you get to the point where you know what you're doing in PS and need to be efficient in your work, you realize you HAVE TO learn them.
If you do a google search on CS3 keyboard shortcuts you'll find a PDF file of a quick reference card you can print and keep next to you or on your wall that lists all the shortcuts.
I have it tacked on my wall next to my monitors and still use it frequently.
After a little while you'll remember your most frequently used shortcuts and only refer to the card occasionally for stuff you don't use alot.

I can't imagine NOT using them. Don't you get sick of fumbling through menus all the time?
It's so much easier to just hit command+S(control+S on Mac) to save instead of going through menus, especially if your deep into something like making a difficult selection or laying down paths and can't move your cursor across the screen.

Shortcuts REALLY are the way to go if you want to make PS work for you.

I think I had the same problem but seem to have it resolved.
Try going into your control panel and then open the system maint. icon, from there open performance information and tools and then look on the to left part of the window and open the "adjust visual effects"link.
then set you vista to run "let windows decide what is best" option.then open your folder and look at your icons and see if they preview your pics now.If not turn the vista to full appearance setting and try them again.
once you have them showing you can then go back and change it back to "let windows decide and they should stay (for what reason I doint know) that is just what have figured out thus far and I am still trying to figure it out further.
hope this helps.

Firemedic...thanks...i will check that out....

Glaston...i started using bridge last night and that seems to be not so bad..i hate change is all!!! btw, i do use my shortcuts...but i have a memeory like a seive, so i only use a few. I had a problem with a plug in a few months ago and it stopped me from using any shortcuts. I couldnt solve the problem, so i just started clicking...and like anything else, the more you use, the faster you get. But now that i have upgraded to cs3, my shortcuts are restored!!! yeah...but i have to remember them!! ha ha

anyway, thanks for you help...problem solved.

If you print out the quick ref card of shortcuts you won't have to rely on your memory for them.

I'll make it easy for everyone-
Mac shortcuts
Windows shortcuts

Enjoy...

Most reactions

Back