Shutter left cocked for a weekend

bartoshka

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,

I've just bought a Minolta x700 and left it at the store to pick up after weekend. Turned out the shutter was left cocked for three days.. I'm not sure but I think I don't hear much difference in timing at higher speeds. Please tell me is the danger of damage/desync of shutter mechanism high? Is there an easy way to check it? Or only giving it to a professional for service? I would appreciate some help very much.

..the shutter was left cocked for three days.
Only three days, not something to worry about.

If you want to worry, you can worry that the shutter has become less accurate by simply sitting around for a couple of decades. If you know of a good camera testing facility, have the shutter checked for accuracy.

Thanks, that's some weight of my chest. Have a good day!

Yes, all things mechanical need to be used, or they die from misuse.

Case in point: I bought a Graflex Super Graphic in June, with its 135mm f4.7, set into a Graflex shutter. The camera had been sitting unused since about 1977. The high speed shutter settings worked fine, but 1/10 and slower took ages to open and shut. Ended up spending $90 to have the shutter CLA'd. Now, it works perfectly.

This isn't nearly as critical today, as when these older shutters were first manufactured. The lubricants used until the late part of the 20th century, would evaporate more easily causing the congealing of the solids. The same holds true for mechanical watches.

..the shutter was left cocked for three days.
Only three days, not something to worry about.

If you want to worry, you can worry that the shutter has become less accurate by simply sitting around for a couple of decades. If you know of a good camera testing facility, have the shutter checked for accuracy.
Before getting the shutter tested by a testing facility try a few tests of your own. Note: TV screens with their fixed refresh rates can be used to check reasonably accurately for faster shutter speeds. There are details on the web which I'm sure Google will find for you faster than I can find my saved notes.
However if the error in speeds does not show in your photo's it can safely be ignored :)

Most reactions

Back