Shutter Life

K9Kirk

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This may be the proverbial dumb question here so bear with me. A friend of mine and I were discussing camera video which lead to us wondering which has a longer shutter life for videos, a dslr or a camcorder that's made specifically for video. We thought that maybe a camcorders shutter would have a longer life expectancy since it's made specifically for video but that didn't settle with me.

Needless to say, we never came to a definite conclusion so I researched it but came up empty. Since the conversation my logic has me leaning toward the belief that if companies wanted their cameras to compete with camcorders they wouldn't use inferior parts or technology and would make their cameras video parts, (shutter) etc. equal to or better than a camcorders or am I wrong? Is there something I'm not seeing and considering? My research gives me nothing to go on so I'm guessing at best. I know most differences between the two so I'm not concerned with other differences.

So, the question is … *Does one have a much longer shutter life than the other?
Thanks for your time!

I only speak canon.
Looking at shutter count lists, a video and a single shot both count the same=1
As far as I can see a video is just a longer long bulb setting exposure the shutter does not move during either the sensor just records the images in a different way.
In answer. My vote is that the camcorder would have a longer life as it opens then closes. Where as a DSLR can take many more shots in the same amount of time.
Will be interesting to see how this goes.

Ok just looked up canon LEGRIA gx 10 camcorder apparently you get 15 hours of recording on a 64 g card. That is 15 hours for 1 shutter action. A DSLR is limited as far as I can tell to 30 mins. Something to do with import laws
So math sort of says for a given amount of time the DSLR would ware out first

Are they different on a DSLR. The shuter opens light is recorded over time, say canon b mode, shutter closes
Same in vid mode just the camera saves the images at the rate set,
Just asking not arguing

Since they're not the same thing, you can't just say one is tougher than the other.

Video Camera Shutter

Agreed, you can't but which one is? If one is that is.
Well, I'll just go on ahead and read the article so you don't have to.

Video cameras have an electronic "shutter" that is not a mechanical curtain, but the sensor senses "on and off" electronically. Assuming nothing happens to the electronics, I'd say that the video camera will run many more minutes than the DSLR with a mechanical curtain that moves.

But electronics do "wear out" eventually.

Since they're not the same thing, you can't just say one is tougher than the other.

Video Camera Shutter

Agreed, you can't but which one is? If one is that is.
Well, I'll just go on ahead and read the article so you don't have to.

Video cameras have an electronic "shutter" that is not a mechanical curtain, but the sensor senses "on and off" electronically. Assuming nothing happens to the electronics, I'd say that the video camera will run many more minutes than the DSLR with a mechanical curtain that moves.

But electronics do "wear out" eventually.

Actually, that was just a response to what you'd said before I had read the article. I just forgot to come back afterwards to agree that a camcorder will most likely last longer. Sorry about that, my bad. What the article said pretty much coincides with what Original katomi said. Thank you both so much for clearing that up, it's greatly appreciated!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back