What's new

Sigma 70-200 f2.8 on Canon 500D

mohsaas

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jan 20, 2011
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I want to buy a Sigma 70-200 f2.8 lens for my canon 500D.

and I've some some questions to help me clear things out.
ps: I'm going to mostly shoot handheld.

1- Can my 500D hold the 1300g sigma without tripod? I'm afraid it would break the camera!

2- What's the minimum shutter speed required to shoot handheld without IS in low light without getting any blurry pictures.

3- When shooting on 200mm .. would I be able to shoot handheld?
 
I want to buy a Sigma 70-200 f2.8 lens for my canon 500D.

and I've some some questions to help me clear things out.
ps: I'm going to mostly shoot handheld.

1- Can my 500D hold the 1300g sigma without tripod? I'm afraid it would break the camera!

2- What's the minimum shutter speed required to shoot handheld without IS in low light without getting any blurry pictures.

3- When shooting on 200mm .. would I be able to shoot handheld?

1- I would think so. My Nikon D40 held it just fine, as does my D80.

2- the same as he focal length your shooting at. At 200mm you need at least 1/200th of a second (theoretically). You still need a fairly steady hand though.

3- Yes, as long as you can get a fast enough shutter speed. I used it handheld for high school football season (I shot a game per week for 7 weeks) and it got a little tiring after 3+ hours but it's very doable. I now have a monopod, which is great.
 
1) Yes but with conditions; the camera mount itself should not break with that lens (I've used a 400D and canon 70-200mm f2.8 for ages without problems) but remember that with this kind of lens you've got to hold it right when shooting. A good standing posture - hand under the lens itself should be supporting the bulk of the weight, elbows in and such. A good holding posture is very important (Esp for your points 2 and 3).
Also the lens will come with a tripod collar - never mount this setup using the cameras tripod mount as the mount itself might well break (further the setup will be very unbalanced and more inclined to topple over and such). Use the lenses tripod mount always

2) 1/focal length of the lens is the general rule though for crop sensor cameras many say 1/focal length of the lens * crop factor (1.6 for canon 1.5 for nikon). Of course how you shoot and the conditions will make big differences - if you're standing up in strong wind you'll need more shutter speed than if your standing leaning against a brick wall - or laying down on the ground

3) Yes you can you just have to keep you shutter speed fast enough and your holding stance good enough to overcome your natural bodies shake.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom