What's new

Siletz Bay by Night

Nice image. Composition seems just right to me. I might try darkening the sky a bit.
 
Hello there! I've seen great shots from you lately, so I'll take that as a base to critique this one :)

The composition is 'correct'... You're somehow following the rule of thirds, include something in the foreground to give a sensation of depth and all... But the foreground on the left side is way too dark for my taste, most of it (foreground) is uninteresting and doesn't get the viewers attention for more than a second... Then, the sky is a little flat for my taste and the lights are a little blown or difused.

Anyway, it's a nice picture, but seeing your work lately, I think this one is not that good.

Have a nice day!

Regards,
LizardKing
 
Nice image. Composition seems just right to me. I might try darkening the sky a bit.

Thanks KenC!

Hello there! I've seen great shots from you lately, so I'll take that as a base to critique this one :)

The composition is 'correct'... You're somehow following the rule of thirds, include something in the foreground to give a sensation of depth and all... But the foreground on the left side is way too dark for my taste, most of it (foreground) is uninteresting and doesn't get the viewers attention for more than a second... Then, the sky is a little flat for my taste and the lights are a little blown or difused.

Anyway, it's a nice picture, but seeing your work lately, I think this one is not that good.

Have a nice day!

Regards,
LizardKing

Thanks for your comment on my recent shots, and thanks for your feedback on this particular image.

To address your comments, I should mention that I had many exposures of this image with varying exposure parameters. I was shooting at fairly low ISO's (100-400) to combat noise, but since this shoot I've realized I'd rather keep detail in the starbursts from the lights than blow them out to keep a low ISO. I felt this shot was a good compromise out of my shots, a compromise of global lighting and detail retention in the lights. The exposure (f/8, 30sec, ISO 100) was decent, but I think I would've been more pleased with an ISO 400-800 shot at f/13-f/16 to exaggerate and define the bursts a bit better.

As far as the negative space and the sky, I too felt the same way. I had cropped it like this, and to be honest forgot to crop before posting. I think this crop takes down the negative space in the sky and foreground, but maintains the positive features of the original shot. How about you?


Siletz Bay by Night Crop by Rotanimod, on Flickr
 
Yes, it's not easy to work with lights like these when you're doing long exposures... This is just personal 'feeling', but it seems the humidity in the air plays an important role in how the lights are exposed... To me, I like to take this kind of shots after it rains. One of these days I'll upload a few pics I took in Belgium (Ghent) a couple years ago, where it was raining the whole day and at night the lights were kind of magic :)

Anyway, keep up the good work and have a nice day!

Regards,
LizardKing
 
Very cool....I really like it. I am more into the blue and black thing going on at the bottom for some reason. I like the shapes and shades of blue in the rocks and water. The lights at the top make me want a margarita on the beach on a warmish night....wait make it a mai tai. Very cool.
 
I think the original crop looks a bit better; two elements seen in the left hand side of the frame as originally composed created a photo that looks a bit better to me than the cropped version. I think what I like most about the original framing is the leading line of water in the lower left hand corner, and the out-of-the-water rocks that comprise the lower left corner. Also, the presence of the sand spit on the left hand side in the original shot makes the overall composition look, well, just "better" to my eye. If there's a nit to pick, I think the night sky looks a wee bit too bright in both renditions. Overall though, a nice scene, handled well.
 
Wow very nice image. I really like what I see.

Thanks! Glad you like. :thumbup:

Very cool....I really like it. I am more into the blue and black thing going on at the bottom for some reason. I like the shapes and shades of blue in the rocks and water. The lights at the top make me want a margarita on the beach on a warmish night....wait make it a mai tai. Very cool.

I really liked how the rocks turned out too. Really cool shapes and such contrasted by the blues of the water. Derrel was with me, and we talked about how cool it would of been to light paint that little paint stack during the exposure. Would've been awesome!


Yes, it's not easy to work with lights like these when you're doing long exposures... This is just personal 'feeling', but it seems the humidity in the air plays an important role in how the lights are exposed... To me, I like to take this kind of shots after it rains. One of these days I'll upload a few pics I took in Belgium (Ghent) a couple years ago, where it was raining the whole day and at night the lights were kind of magic :)

Anyway, keep up the good work and have a nice day!

Regards,
LizardKing

Thanks LizardKing!

I think the original crop looks a bit better; two elements seen in the left hand side of the frame as originally composed created a photo that looks a bit better to me than the cropped version. I think what I like most about the original framing is the leading line of water in the lower left hand corner, and the out-of-the-water rocks that comprise the lower left corner. Also, the presence of the sand spit on the left hand side in the original shot makes the overall composition look, well, just "better" to my eye. If there's a nit to pick, I think the night sky looks a wee bit too bright in both renditions. Overall though, a nice scene, handled well.

You're right, I didn't really look at it that way. The sand spit does sort of take you to the lights as well. that's lost in the crop. Interesting! Keen observations Derrel.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom