simple point n shoot or DSLR?

dancerxot

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
for the past few years i've been using a cheap samsung s630 for pictures of friends and exploring my interest in photography; now i'm planning to apply to college for photography. needless to say, i need to upgrade my camera. the noise on my camera is ridiculous, and i'd like to submit the best quality pictures i can. i have about two years til i'm off to college, should i upgrade to a better quality point and shoot or get a mid-grade DSLR that will last a little longer?

i'm definitely open for suggestions: i want something versatile (as a student i'll be shooting a variety of subjects), sturdy, not huge (small hands lol), with a good quality/price ratio.

i used to be strictly nikon fan, but i'll take any suggestions.
thank you! ;)

Welcome to the forum.

The main problem with 99.9% of 'point & shoot' style cameras, is that they have a tiny little sensor...which is mainly why the produce noisy images. So I suggest you look for a DSLR that you can learn and grow with.

Well Im in the Dslr camp as well. You will get better performance and, more versatility, especially as you aquire better glass. Which glass is the only draw back, it will devour large sums of money. When looking for a Dslr go to the store and, hold the various models in your hands and, see which fits best for you.

woah, the quick replys! i went to the store and handled a nikon d60, and it was great. i don't want to be cyber-stoned for asking which brand/camera/dslr i should buy so i'll hit the search boxes and google and see what i can find.

thanks! (suggestions are still open though ;) )

get a DSLR, since you have an interest in photography, a cheap DSLR would definitely be worth it to you. The key thing about DSLR is that it's much faster than a point and shoot making it alot more fun to use. Since you're gonna be a photography student and you're no beginner, I would look at something like a D90.

i don't want to be cyber-stoned for asking which brand/camera/dslr i should buy [...]

There are plenty of those threads here if you can't find what you're looking for on google.

Really though, any dSLR will be fine. Get the one that "feels right", they all have pretty much the same features...

If you're going to be taking photography classes, they'll probably require you to have an SLR anyway.

Well Im in the Dslr camp as well. You will get better performance and, more versatility, especially as you acquire better glass. Which glass is the only draw back, it will devour large sums of money. When looking for a Dslr go to the store and, hold the various models in your hands and, see which fits best for you.

Yeah, if you really like small, there's the 4/3's system out now (ie; the Lumix G1 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panasonic_Lumix_DMC-G1). It's a DSLR that's the size of a P&S. The drawback there is that not many lenses out for the 4/3's yet. If you want a wide variety, I'd suggest going with any of the major company's for DSLR's (Olympus, Canon, Nikon, etc) and stick to normal DSLR's. I own a Canon Rebel XT and love it. It was only $450.00 USD at B&H for a body and lens. Only problem is that it's discontinued now-you can only buy it used (far as I know).

Also, if you haven't already I'd strongly suggest subscribing to Popular Photography mag (http://www.popphoto.com). It's an amazing all around photography magazine and regularly tests DSLR's. They've also got a buyers guide for lenses and body's on their website.

Phil,

Most reactions

New Topics

Back