Singing Group Promotional Photoshoot

Bend The Light

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was asked by friends who run a music centre (music lesons, recording, performance etc.) to do a photoshoot to help them promote a group they have got together. I am the second photographer (used loosely, I have a camera! ;) ) to be asked.
The brief - make the girls look a little sexy, make it NOT look like they are at a wedding they don't want to be at, and portray a little sadness in some shots, as the song is quite sad in parts.
So, here's my first approximation. The group is called "Racial Harmony", by the way.
Any thoughts would be well appreciated.

Racial Harmony 1 a square black border by Bend The Light, on Flickr

Well. They don't look like they're at a wedding. :lol:

I don't get the feeling of sadness though.

I'm not a fan of the girls looking down like that... it looks like you just caught them blinking. They're a little stiff too. And the girl camera left has quasi-duckface going on.

What did they think?

Well. They don't look like they're at a wedding. :lol:

I don't get the feeling of sadness though.

I'm not a fan of the girls looking down like that... it looks like you just caught them blinking. They're a little stiff too. And the girl camera left has quasi-duckface going on.

What did they think?

They haven't seen it yet. :)
Well, they did chimp the images and so have seen this on the "little screen", but without the PP, obviously.

We were all a little nervous...first time for us all, really. They were a little stiff, as was I for some of the shoot...
I sked them to look down in these shots - I do have a few with eyes forward, too. This was first out of the bag.

Trying to decide if her "duckface" is natural or not...will have to look through the rest. :)

Not all the images need to be sad, so if this isn't one, then that's ok.

Thanks

Last edited:
I was asked by friends who run a music centre (music lesons, recording, performance etc.) to do a photoshoot to help them promote a group they have got together. I am the second photographer (used loosely, I have a camera! ;) ) to be asked.
The brief - make the girls look a little sexy, make it NOT look like they are at a wedding they don't want to be at, and portray a little sadness in some shots, as the song is quite sad in parts.
So, here's my first approximation. The group is called "Racial Harmony", by the way.
Any thoughts would be well appreciated.

Racial Harmony 1 a square black border by Bend The Light, on Flickr

But are the photos to promote the group? I guess I'm not getting the part about the sad song. Surely they know more than one song. I'm not loving the girls looking down either. They don't look look so much like a group but more like the man is the singer and the girls are just backup or eye candy.

But are the photos to promote the group? I guess I'm not getting the part about the sad song. Surely they know more than one song. I'm not loving the girls looking down either. They don't look look so much like a group but more like the man is the singer and the girls are just backup or eye candy.

I am sure they know more than one song. But this is to promote something they have just completed. This is a new venture.
Perhaps "group" is the wrong word...he's the singer, they are the backing vocals/eye candy.

Either way, them looking down, makes it look like you just snapped a shot off at the same time they were blinking. Not a good look, in my humble opinion.

I like the idea behind the shot but I too am not a fan of the "blinker" look created by the girls looking down.
My other comments on it would be that the girl to the left has white fringeing around the bottom of her skirt (background removal I guess?)
Also the reflections don't touch the feet which screams "photoshopped" to me.

The legs,feet,shoes of the girl on the right are too dark. Also, it looks like there has been some vignetting applied to the lower part of the photo. Given the natural fall-off of light, I think the vignetting looks excessive.

I'd rather see the girls in different poses to add some personality to the shot. It looks too contrived when they're doing the exact same thing. Also, what sort of music do they perform? I think their promotional photo should reflect that. If you get a chance to re-shoot, maybe casually suggest that the white suit w/ the black shirt would look super sharp with some black wing tips. As for the girls, it's hard to get "sad" with what they're wearing.

An interesting location would negate the need for heavy Photoshopping.

Thanks, Brenda.

I have asked if a reshoot is possible. As for location, thet may not be possible.
I have, however, requested that in a reshoot that we have the music playing and we go for some action/dancing/singing shots.

The group are doing variations on Reggae songs...the guy is well known in some circles, the girls are new.

Thanks for your interest. :)

I'm gonna agree with Derrel about the light fall-off and vignetting. As far as the pose, I think this could work if it were a bit more intimate for the viewer, as in a much tighter crop...... 3/4 or head and shoulders where we could see some of the emotion that is lost on the full body shot. It would also help if the girls were leaning/pressing more towards the man, head tilted also. The girl on left should turn slightly so that her shoulder is not square with the camera. She is also getting some of the background light coming through the bottom of her skirt.

TBH, it kinda gives me s sense of a funeral, so I get the sad feeling.

You've done well. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks, Kundalini,

Part of the song we are promoting includes a funeral of the subject...so to have that image is good.

All the other points are noted for when I get stuck into the processing of more shots...

Thanks

Most reactions

New Topics

Back