Slab City & East Jesus

Rick50

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
In the southeast corner of the Salton Sea in So. California lies some interesting stuff. One place is slab city east of Niland, Ca. , a homeless community placed on an abandoned military base. The millitary pulled out and left a bunch of concrete slabs. The homeless then moved in. No services of any kind but no rent either. The last free place they say. :)
0218-BombayBeach-183-M.jpg
0218-BombayBeach-202-M.jpg

0218-BombayBeach-190-M.jpg

0218-BombayBeach-191-M.jpg

You could have a place like this:
0218-BombayBeach-203-M.jpg

Well, someone collected trash from the sites as people moved on and created artwork with it. Then called it East Jesus for some reason.
0310-East-Jesus-5-M.jpg

0310-East-Jesus-7-M.jpg

0310-East-Jesus-49-M.jpg

0310-East-Jesus-31-M.jpg

0310-East-Jesus-38-M.jpg

0310-East-Jesus-61-M.jpg

0310-East-Jesus-51-M.jpg

You get the idea. I like to take people out there. Always interesting and unique.

definitely caught my attention...Really cool. wouldn't want to live there. but REALLY cool. Thanks for posting this was great!

I remember reading about this place. So when are we going?
Anytime.... It would be a bit longer for you but we could meet in Mecca, Ca. on the 111. You could come down from Indio.
It is a blast for sure.
0310-East-Jesus-21-M.jpg

The last free place:

This is so interesting, especially the last image you shared Rick50, never been there the last time I was in CA. Are these structures built by the homeless?

Watched a TV special about the Salton sea one time - sad affair. This subject matter however was not covered in that show. Thanks for sharing these pics.

This is so interesting, especially the last image you shared Rick50, never been there the last time I was in CA. Are these structures built by the homeless?
Started by a guy who lived out there. He would go around and collect things off the slabs and create stuff with it. He passed on a few years back but others have assumed the role. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back