Slide film recommendations?

mbogda

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello,

I've shot a fair bit of digital lately but have an urge to go back to shooting some film and slides but am somewhat out of the loop in terms of what slide films are still available and which are the "best" (I say that since it is pretty subjective).

With some of the leaves starting to turn colors I really want something that captures the vivid brightness and detail of the landscapes and cityscapes that I plan on doing, any recommendations from anyone? What are your favorite slide films? I used to use Kodachrome 25 way back but is it still around and are there better alternatives (I'm hoping the advances in technology have been used even a little bit to improve film and slide quality).

Secondly is there anything available that will mimic the old amazing cibachrome images with their super vivid almost surreal color (in terms of printing, or I guess even a film that might help give a the look when combined with a certain paper)?

Thanks for your help,

Matt

Welcome to the forum Matt.

I'm not much of a slide film shooter...but Fuji Velvia has been one of the more popular slide films, it's known for it's intense color saturation, which is great for landscapes but not as good for portraits etc.

Chrome!

I never tried Fuji's Chrome ( "Fujichrome" right? ). I used to shoot Kodachrome 25 almost exclusively (which might explain why I don't mind the low ISO of a bridge camera) and was always satisfied and impressed with the results. Kodachrome is no longer made I hear, but Fujichrome is... ;)

To the best of my knowledge, Kodachrome 64 is still being made. Kodachrome 25 isn't.

Fuji Velvia is a very saturated film, too saturated for some. Nothing like Kodachrome 25.

Fuji Astia and Kodak E100G or the warmer E100GX have very low graininess. E100VS is more saturated, but grainier.

For what it is worth, I use mostly E100G or Astia if I use daylight balanced slide film. I still use Kodachrome 64 now and then - I used to use a lot.

Cibachrome still exists, though it is officially called Ilfochrome these days. Many people still call them 'Cibas'. They can be made directly from slides or digitally.

Best,
Helen

Last edited:
Since some of my lenses have different characteristics, I use different films for each one- depending. In my more contrasty lenses (VC Color-Skopar 35mm/2.5), I use Fuji Astia 100F. In most of my other lenses I use Fuji Provia 100F. If I use a polarizer filter, I use the Astia.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back