Slow learning photographer

You have received some great information here.

I completely echo what @JustJazzie and @Derrel have stated. Excellent resources and a well thought out plan.

The only other thing I would add is don't get down if something seems to be taking longer than expected. It happens to us all. I still haven't mastered the power of flight and I've been trying since I was 3.

If you need help with something, just ask. Most here have probably seen the issue or have the answer.

Lastly, enjoy your time while shooting. Yes getting the check in the box for completing a learning goal is great but always try to have a bit of fun. It will make your overall journey less stressful.

For everyone who has replied I say thank you for taking time out to respond to my question. I emailed KEH Camera in Atlanta they responded with they wouldn't have the time to take out to spend time with me for a few minutes. I spoke to Sara at Atlanta School Of Photography she gave me great tips and the best settings for my camera and also for Adobe Premiere Pro.

Good luck in your journey! It is a journey of a lifetime. I have been interested in photography for around 45 years now, and I am still learning things, albeit at a slower pace than the first two decades

Good luck in your journey! It is a journey of a lifetime. I have been interested in photography for around 45 years now, and I am still learning things, albeit at a slower pace than the first two decades

Thank you Derrel. I am glad there is still great people around who helps people trying to learn photography and video editing.

If you’re a true beginner I’d recommend these steps in this order

1 - Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson. yes as Derrel says it’s a bit simplistic but that is what makes it the best place to start IMO.

2 - Nikon has many free tutorials online specific to their cameras

3 - User manual (now that you know what most of the controls and menu items mean it’s easier to use and understand)

4 - video tutorials. I like Lynda.com (free one month trial) or Udemy (pay per class) or Creative Live (free “live” streaming or pay per class).

I think you have a great camera to learn on. Put it in manual exposure mode, have any of the above recommended books on-hand and go through the shutter speed and aperture examples. If your technical like me then you might be interested in f-stops and how they are related to the lens focal length, if you are more artistic like my sister then you might want to know how these setting affect the final image.

Read the camera manual (I haven't read mine for my D800, but that is beside the point).

I learned from classes and a few mentors and now more recently through forums such as this, on-line courses, and of course youtube - but mostly taking pictures and learning from mistakes.

I would also suggest printing some of your images as you progress.

Speaking of GoPro and Premiere Pro - I just had a laugh catching a recent review of that camera over on the Camera Conspiracies youtube channel (editing done in Premiere Pro).

Thanks everyone. Sorry for my late reply I've been getting over a bad sinus infection so hopefully I'm getting over it. I'm reading up about the camera and all the functions and what works the best and recommended settings for daytime/night time and video.

True story a long time ago I developed slow learning disabilities from a major reaction from the vaccine shot called Diphtheria Pertussis Tetanus vaccine that I coded x2. But anyways from that time I turned 18 and higher in age I wanted to do photography but never had the chance or anyone to show me the steps on how to do photography. I know some which are point, shoot and take the picture. I have a Nikon D810, GoPro Hero 7 black edition and iPhone 11 Pro max.

Some of the people I've asked they didn't say much they just said "search Google" on what though? My learning disabilities some what have passed and can learn at a faster pace but still need some guidance on how to work the camera. I know reading the manual or watching YouTube videos will be best but there is nothing around my area where I live in central Georgia that has a camera store besides all the electronic stores...Yes I tried Best Buy they were not much of a help.

I also want to know how to shoot video with my GoPro Hero 7 black edition and edit them in Adobe Premiere Pro.

I am older than most trees but when I started I joined a local photography club. Everyone knew more than I did, all were willing to share, and I quickly learned which ones had the most valuable information. If you can find a camera club you might give it a shot.

I also advise people to study the camera operation and learn to use it well. This is even more important as digital cameras and the associated software has developed. I'm going over the mountains to the Pacific Coast in five weeks and I've been practicing where I live doing shots of moving water so I can do that with the ocean and the rivers running out of the mountains and down to the sea. It's harder than it sounds because I live in a mountain valley that's quite arid but I'm getting there. Oh, and at 78-years old I have more disabilities than you can imagine. I never leave home without forgetting something because I keep forgetting the read the list I posted of what I need to take when I got out.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back