Slowing down focus on Samsung Galaxy S5?

MonkMayfair1937

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm a record collector and I use the S5 to take reference label pics. (The records are too big for my scanner). Is there a way to force the focus to slow down so there's a lower ISO? The slower, the better on the labels. It has difficulty being crisp with a certain type of label (white label with red rims and a couple of red lines).

I have an old Sony DSC-F828, but it doesn't do well on the labels, and an alpha 77, but I don't have a macro lens, and a scanner would be less expensive.

(Also,is there any way to permanently disable the Watch this thread and receive notifications checkbox?)

You'd be better off with an S6 or better. With the S6 Samsung introduced "Pro" mode where you could control the shutter speed and ISO. I remember back when I had my old S5 and my daughter had an S6 and I borrowed her phone to take some action shots by forcing a high shutter speed. It was much better than the camera on my S5 for that. There are some manual camera apps that you can get for slow shutter speeds but form what I remember they were all a bit clunky.

The S6, S7, S8 and S9 have much better cameras than the S5.

Photography wise the camera should be on auto ISO, so getting more light on your subjects would also lower the ISO.

Focus speed does not affect ISO on any camera.

Hmm, I wonder if I could re-purpose an LED light ring for more light?

Generally, the most successful photos are when the ISO slows down and it does the hold camera steady message and there's a slow, rotating ring while the photo takes.

Hmm, I wonder if I could re-purpose an LED light ring for more light?

Generally, the most successful photos are when the ISO slows down and it does the hold camera steady message and there's a slow, rotating ring while the photo takes.

ISO is not a measure of speed, but sensitivity to light (in film) or signal amplification (in digital). Most modern digital cameras will give a fairly noise-less image with higher ISOs as long as tha exposure is correct.

At the top of the thread, you should see the option to "Unwatch Thread" - it's over the "#1"

Most reactions

Back